Fix my "Local Only" ad hoc connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I previously set up a home network that worked..then all of a sudden it says Local Only...I do diagnostic...New Ip..doesn't work...disconnect modem..doesn't work...reset adapter..doesn't work....
The desktop is connected via Local Area Connection and I installed a Belkin Wireless Adapter(USB)...
My laptop Dell connects to the ad hoc network wirelessly...
They both connect to the network fine..but my laptop can't connect to the network
* I have already set the LAC to share its internet connection
I cant set the wireless one to share on the desktop..but I have the option to on the laptop but I don't think that would work...
I made my LAC public..I think that was the default...and the wireless Private...Please help!

public-private are Vista choices -- you need to use PRIVATE. The public choice is
for use at a hotspot where security is extra tight and Print/File Sharing must be inhibited.

Unfortunately this didn't work :( When i connect to the network, it asks what type I want it to be set to, and I pick private on both computers. Any other ideas? I have even tried to re-create the network from scratch and it still won't work

get a command prompt (run->cmd) and run this on each system
ipconfig /all >systemA.txt or systemB.txt​
and follow-up and attach file.

I suspect your IP addresses are 169.x.x.x and your systems are not finding the
DHCP server.

connect? YES

start->run->cmd

then enter the command

the file will be found at
(vista) \Users\yourLogin\
(xp) \Documents and Settings\yourLogin\

Status