Fix registry of a slaved HDD without erasing its contents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murumbmol

hi all, i have a hard disk which I have been using for long time but recently i wasn't able to get it running, it came up with "INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER". i went to CMOS and it showed that it picked up the HDD, i changed the boot sequence, loaded setting defaults, swapped the jumper select to master and cable select, and anything i could think of step by step but still i cannot boot it up smoothly. now i am thinking if there is a way i can slave this HDD with another PC that is running smoothly and use some registry fix softwares to correct that problem (as i think it is registry error because i experienced a stop blue screen also before that error message).

the question is, if it is a registry problem (as i supect) would it be possible to slave this faulty HDD and have its registry fixed using registry fix softwares without destroying its contents?

please help. thank you.:confused:

I've had a similar problem before. I hooked the HD up to another computer, transferred all the data to another drive temporarily, wiped the old drive and reformatted it, then transferred all the data back. A very handy tool I found is TestDisk (it could take a minute or two to get the hang of this program).

Good luck!

thank you for that option. the faulty HDD is 80gig and the other running is 40gig. i have huge files taking up 3/4 (40gig) of the 80gig HD space. to save time consumption and looking for another HD, is there a way my faulty HD can be fixed while it is being slaved?

thanks.

Sorry, not that I am aware of. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a way to do that, but I wouldn't be able to help you. Hope you get things figured out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back