TechSpot

Fix registry of a slaved HDD without erasing its contents

By Murumbmol
Nov 18, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hi all, i have a hard disk which I have been using for long time but recently i wasn't able to get it running, it came up with "INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER". i went to CMOS and it showed that it picked up the HDD, i changed the boot sequence, loaded setting defaults, swapped the jumper select to master and cable select, and anything i could think of step by step but still i cannot boot it up smoothly. now i am thinking if there is a way i can slave this HDD with another PC that is running smoothly and use some registry fix softwares to correct that problem (as i think it is registry error because i experienced a stop blue screen also before that error message).

the question is, if it is a registry problem (as i supect) would it be possible to slave this faulty HDD and have its registry fixed using registry fix softwares without destroying its contents?

please help. thank you.:confused:
  2. JesseM

JesseM TS Enthusiast Posts: 259

I've had a similar problem before. I hooked the HD up to another computer, transferred all the data to another drive temporarily, wiped the old drive and reformatted it, then transferred all the data back. A very handy tool I found is TestDisk (it could take a minute or two to get the hang of this program).

Good luck!
  3. Murumbmol

Murumbmol TS Rookie Topic Starter

thank you for that option. the faulty HDD is 80gig and the other running is 40gig. i have huge files taking up 3/4 (40gig) of the 80gig HD space. to save time consumption and looking for another HD, is there a way my faulty HD can be fixed while it is being slaved?

thanks.
  4. JesseM

JesseM TS Enthusiast Posts: 259

Sorry, not that I am aware of. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a way to do that, but I wouldn't be able to help you. Hope you get things figured out!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.