Flash 10 coming to smartphones in October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

With the notable exception of Apple’s iPhone and RIM’s BlackBerry, all major mobile platforms are set to receive Flash Player 10 support in October according to Adobe. During the company’s second-quarter earnings call on Friday, CEO Shantanu Narayen confirmed that a desktop-class implementation of the technology will debut in beta form for Windows Mobile, Android, WebOS, and Symbian devices later this year; with ARM, Broadcom, Intel, Nvidia, Qualcomm, and Texas Instruments currently optimizing the player for their products.

The functionality was actually demonstrated at Adobe’s MAX developer conference last year, and a fall launch was already promised back in February at the Mobile World Congress in Spain, but it’s good to know the company is still on track. Narayen also said that Adobe continues to “work with Apple” to develop Flash 10 for the iPhone. However, with the latest release of Safari bringing some HTML 5 support, Apple might be placing its bets on web standards for adding video streaming capabilities to the iPhone; all while keeping Flash-based games at bay in an effort to protect its App Store sales.

Permalink to story.

With Firefox and all other major browsers still receiving slowdowns on a desktop PC due to Flash content (you can blame either party I guess), I can't say I miss them on my iPhone or other mobile device for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back