Flash drive not found

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a memory stick that does not work (Cruzer 256MB). It never work in my computer (I have XP) or any computer.

I put the memory stick on the computer, but it does not read it - It never did. I hear formatting the flash drive, but how can I do this if I can not see the letter drive????

Can someone help me???

by default some memory sticks will only assign to a certain drive letter.

so... change the drive letters on your machine to see....

right click My Computer, click Manage, choose Disk Management under the Storage section...

In the window on the right you can see all your drives and their corresponding drive letters....

Right click each drive (but not your main C drive if this is where Windows is installed) and choose Change Drive Letter and Paths....

Change the drive letters to something obscure like Z and Y or any other drive letter you feel.

Reboot your machine and then plug your mem stick in.

let us know how you get on......

Meatologist

Hi Meatologist,

I tried everything you said, but it did not work. I was not able to read the drive from the the stick. Thank you...

I still need help....

Hi,

Sorry that didnt work....

When you plug the device in, does anything happen ? If you have sound, can you hear the Windows notification sound of a device being plugged in ?

Open Device Manager. Do you see the Cruzer with a yellow "!" ? If so, remove the device from Device Manager. Unplug and plug the device. Windows will detect and install the device.

If none of this works, then you can either try reinstalling your USB drivers for your motherboard.... but if you have other USB devices that work OK, then I would say that you need to send it back and get a replacement !

I found this help topic on the SanDisk website:

http://www.customernation.com/pls/p...=5096&p_parm=PSHFAQ&p_subcategory=&p_product=

see if it helps...

Hi Meatologist

When you plug the device in, does anything happen?----> When I plugged in the device it turns a green light on the back, but nothing else happens.

Open Device Manager. Do you see the Cruzer with a yellow "!" ? ---> No, nothing is shown (No letter).

If none of this works, then you can either try reinstalling your USB drivers for your motherboard.... ----> this is not an option.

I would say that you need to send it back and get a replacement ! ---> If this is the last result, then I will.

Thank you for your help again.

Why is reinstalling your USB drivers for your motherboard "NOT AN OPTION" ??

Anywho, try the following:

Install XP SP2 (if you havent already got it)

Physically remove all USB devices from the PC
(if you have a USB mouse, then dont worry about removing it - it's just a precaution)

Uninstall your USB controller & hub from Device Manager.

Reboot and let Windows find your USB controller & hub and install fully.

Reboot and let Windows start it's 5 million processes..... once you're HDD light has calmed down, plug your USB device in and see if Windows recognises it....

If you still have trouble, attempt to manually install the drivers provided with your USB drive WITHOUT the device plugged in....

if none of this works - then i'd say take it back and get an exchange !!

I have that same drive. I have had that same problem on some POS Dell's at work. Disconnecting a network drive then rebooting the PC corrected the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back