Flash Drive Stopped Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatman05

Hey guys. I have a problem. Yesterday, I was using SumatraPDF on my Sandisk 1GB Cruzer Micro flash drive to view a document on another flash drive. The document didn't open, so I closed SumatraPDF. Next thing you know, Windows XP reports a "Delayed Write Error" faliure noticed. I ignored it, thinking that maybe the computer was just being screwy. A couple of hours later, I wanted to use my Sandisk Flash drive. I tried to open some files on it, and they wouldn't open. Puzzled, I went to Windows Explorer to try to open the root of the flash drive, and it says "(drive letter of flash drive) is not accesible. Incorrect function". Long story short, after many hours of trying to remedy the problem, I found out after plugging it into a computer that runs Windows ME that the flash drive is still readable...just not writeable. I can't format it to try to remedy the problem, and I fear that I may have to get a new one (I've had it for over a year now, plus I used Portable Firefox/VLC Media player on it...). Is there a Sandisk utility that can force a format on this media or possible make it writeable? If not, is there a way to make it readable on Windows XP? Also, do you know of a place where it's possible to get a good 1GB flash drive at 30$ or less if I have to replace it?

You could save everything thats on it, open "My Computer", right click on the Drive and choose "Format".

MAKE SURE YOU FORMAT IT FAT, not FAT16 or anything.

That ought to sort it out.

I've seen that link Tedster, and I've already tried that procedure...I also tried formatting Coit, but it says that Windows was unable to complete the format...Do you guys think it's the end of it's 1000000+ writes? If so, where do you think I could find a 1GB flash drive (preferably in a offline, that's a real, store) for 30$ or under?

I've never seen a flash drive fail from over-writing.... but I suppose it could happen. Go into control panel, computer management, disc management. If you can see the flash drive listed, format it (be careful to ensure it is the correct drive). Then assign the drive a letter.

Solution to sandisk not working

JC
MCSE,A+,NET+,MCSA,MCP

IF the drive does not work and states that it needs to be formatted. Go to sandisks web site downloads and they have a U3 removal tool once you delete U3 the drive works choose option 2 to format the drive, all data will be lost but the drive will work again.

JC
MCSE,A+,NET+,MCSA,MCP

IF the drive does not work and states that it needs to be formatted. Go to sandisks web site downloads and they have a U3 removal tool once you delete U3 the drive works choose option 2 to format the drive, all data will be lost but the drive will work again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back