Flash Drive

I bought a flash drive from ebay, and it came from China or Hong Kong, I want to play some videos on my TV so I'm using a flash drive so I can just plug in the drive into the TV USB outlet. Before I copy the video from my hard drive, I make sure it plays properly. After it's finished copying I right click on the flash drive to see if it loaded and it shows 1.3GB, or whatever it happens to be. But when I try to play the video from the flash drive it shows that there is nothing recorded. Some videos do copy well, but most have NOTHING recorded. I don't understand why?!
Help!!
Thank you.

Why not try downloading it DIRECTLY to the flashdrive, not saying it'll work, but nothing to lose,either. :)

If it was a real bargain high capacity drive you may have been conned. I bought a 32Gb flash drive on eBay from China years back and it was too good to be true. The drive had some kind of tricky software that compressed files making it look to have a far higher capacity than it actually did (sounds like VW diesel tests). As an innocent I sent it back and then had assurances that the seller hadn't received it. It worked out quite an expensive mistake and I now stick with the big names like Crucial and Transcend. If I'd really understood eBay I'd probably have managed to get a refund. I've found them pretty efficient in a couple of unsatisfactory transactions.

Remember, you must ALWAYS click Eject drive x and await the "safe to remove" popup.
Otheswise, the buffers are not flushed and these symptoms occur.

To verify data was written:
  • drag-n-drop some file FOO.TXT to the proper drive letter
  • right-click on that drive letter -> Eject
  • await the Safe popup and pull the thumbdrive from the pc
  • wait 15 secs, then reinsert it
  • once it appears under Computer, open the drive and look for the FOO.TXT with a non-zero size.
  • if it's missing or has zero size, you have issues with the drive.

As Bazz mentioned, I've also run into countless clients from my workshop days who bought USB drives from overseas and were unable to write data properly to them due to the size being misrepresented and the other reasons mentioned already.

Try another known good USB and you'll probably find no issues at all...

There are problems with scans o Ebay as they like in China to sell flash drives with less memory than they write in specifications. I couldn`t understand how did they so it, but reading some info in internet I realized that they just make changes of an existing log file. It make the flash driver showing more memory than it has while the real capacity is much less..

What is the brand of your flash memory?

Back