TechSpot

Flashing Dash, Windows 7 Boot-Up

By TroyErvin
Nov 12, 2009
  1. Hello,

Before reading the below paragraph NOTE: I used the windows 7 upgrade advisor to tell me if there are any compatibility problems and nothing came in.

I recently installed Windows 7 on my Acer Aspire 6530 and it worked great, no problems at all! I thought it was amazing due to microsoft's previous attempts. Anyway in the excitment I attempt to upgrade my other Acer Aspire 7720 which also is a laptop, and I boot it while on the computer so I can save my files, and then it booted with a black screen with a flashing white dash, so I attempted to install Windows 7 by simply booting it with a CD, after all of that, it has the same result.

Obviously all my files are gone, but I was smart enough to make a back-up which it is now on, but what I want to know is there is anyway to fix it so I CAN use Windows 7, there shouldn't be any problems upgrading my system, what has gone wrong?

(PREVIOUS OS/ VISTA HOME PREMIUM)
    (WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE IS MY CD)

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,227   +232

Windows 7 32 or 64 bit? Does Acer have Windows 7 drivers for things like sound and video drivers listed for your laptops?

3. TroyErvin

TroyErvin TS Rookie Topic Starter

my computer lagged for double post :S

4. TroyErvin

32-bit and on the Acer.CA website when I put in Acer Aspire 7720 it doesn't show any windows 7 drivers related to video or audio but there are threee drivers; Card Reader, MIR, and TV Tuner, but wouldn't it tell me if there were any compatibility problems?

5. Tmagic650

The Acer 7720 may not be compatible with Windows 7. Not all former XP systems will handle Windows 7. All Vista computers should run Windows 7

6. TroyErvin

It is formerly vista though,

7. Tmagic650

Try installing Windows 7 fresh on the 7720 once more

8. TroyErvin

i have tried it three times already once from upgrade while on windows vista, and other two i boot with cd

9. Tmagic650

So what does that tell you? Windows 7 will not work on that computer, right?

10. TroyErvin

No it tells me nothing, it goes through the install, and then I enter in account information (e.g. John-PC) and then after that it turns off and when I boot it, it remains with a black screen and a flashing white dash, even after I take the cd out.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.