Flashing Power LED - no startup - HP dv5000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

I'm having trouble with my hp pavilion dv5000. It started about a month ago and i should have tried to repair it sooner. To begin with the problem was just loud clicking noise, perhaps the fan. Soon after it had trouble waking from standby and finally while attempting to turn it on the power LED would turn on but after a few seconds the screen wouldn't light up and the power LED light would begin to flash.
It had been working still however if you tried to startup a few times, with no further problems. However now it won't seem to get past the Flashing LED no matter how many times i try.
I'd be really greatful for any ideas.

Thanks!

That loud clicking noise was likely your HDD failing or it could of indeed been a failing fan clogged with dust or a wire. Not sure how or why a failing HDD would cause the issues described above, however, poor heat dissipation could. Open your case and if it appears to have a fair amount of dust inside, take a can of compressed air and eliminate as much as possible. Also take a note of any fans that aren't spinning (especially your CPU and PSU fans). You might also want to take the time to reseat all components and cables internally.

If you can't get a response after that, strip your system down to only the CPU, one RAM module, PSU and motherboard. If it will power on, add a component into the loop until it fails (powering down the system between each addition, of course), starting with your video card so you can spot any on-screen errors. When it fails, obviously you've found your defective component or cable.

If you can't even get power with your CPU, one RAM module, PSU and motherboard, I would suggest that you try another RAM module and either borrow or buy a working PSU first.

If it's still dead, it's down to the motherboard and CPU. Historically motherboards are more prone to failure than CPUs, however, neither fail frequently. If it's worth your cash, replace the motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back