TechSpot

Flaw in iOS 6.1 lets you bypass password-protected lock screen

By Jos
Feb 14, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. A security flaw recently discovered in iOS 6.1 lets anyone bypass your iPhone password lock and access some of your data after following a series of steps. The method is detailed in the YouTube video below and involves making and...

Read more

2. captainawesome

captainawesome TS Guru Posts: 414   +42

Yeah how did he come up with that? He was practicing his Mortal Combat combo's!

Skidmarksdeluxe likes this.
  3. Did they just move the same team responsible for Apple Maps out and over to the iOS side of the house? I can't believe how problematic updates have become. Apple has not even acknowledged they broke ActiveSync integration in this last release. C'mon, you guys can't afford to screw-up with so many other vendors at your heals.

4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,174   +761

Nah. Being an iPhone he was probably just trying to switch it off.

St1ckM4n and khha4113 like this.
  5. Heh, I keep hearing of iphones being accessed easily and "bad" programming all around... And companies want to replace more secure phones with this?

khha4113 likes this.
  6. Divvet

Divvet TS Rookie Posts: 57   +19

Awesome, just tried this on my friends iPhone, hilarious.

7. misor

misor TS Maniac Posts: 1,020   +153

Noooo!, you are tapping it wrong...

"Exactly how someone came up with such a combination of button holding and tapping is beyond me, but I was able to verify the method on an iPhone 4 running iOS 6.1 and it works."
    LOL.

when would my favorite "up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, A, B, A, B, shift, start" make a comeback?

8. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Maniac Posts: 913   +22

This reminds me of the payphone days when they were first putting in ess (electonic switching system). If you placed a toll call (one that costs more than 10 cents), an operator would come on asking for more money. If you depressed the switchhook for about 2 seconds and released, the operator would go away and the call would go thru. All money was returned and the call was absolutely free. There was another bug in the later version of ess (ess 5) where you could place a call from the payphone and talk for less than 3 minutes, even long distance. When done, you pressed the switchhook and the operator would come on. You'd tell her you were done with the call, hang up, and the money would return like you were at a slot machine. What did att do about it when they found out? Instead of hiring some technicians they banned long distance dialing from all payphones and then got rid of payphones entirely.

There was a trick at verizon (formerly gte) payphones. If you were placing a 10 cent call, some primative systems allowed you to dial the call and then deposit the money if the party answered, in case the line was busy. You could just talk thru the earpiece and never deposit 10 cents.

9. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,627   +320

This doesn't work if the user has turned off the "simple passcode" option.

10. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

These "flaws" are purposefully integrated to help law enforcement.

St1ckM4n and Uvindu like this.
  11. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Booster Posts: 982   +97

Good one. I remember 10 or so years ago I could send text msgs for free by putting a "+" sign, followed by the number (ie: +14162345656) to send local text messages. It worked for quite a while before Fido patched it.

12. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,021   +913

This is very similar to that flaw in ios 5.x.x for the iPad that allowed someone to go to the lock screen, go to the shutdown screen, close the smart cover and get access to the device. Interesting how something similar exists once again.

13. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,815   +921

I'm still reasonably sure if you can just get by the lock screen, you're holding it wrong....

14. adamsmith0123

adamsmith0123 TS Rookie

Based on the news apple will release the 6.2 update soon to fix this problem.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.