Flickering monitor, Freezing Computer, and Lock ups in game

By AkDang
Dec 28, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. recently, my monitor has been flickering and then the whole computer freezes and/or the monitor just shuts off [with a soundloop of the last sound in game]

before i could play HL2, but now i cant even play Counter-Strike without this problem occuring. i used to run CS at 85 fps before but now i'm forced to run it at 60 fps because of the flickering/freezing. It still freezes at 60 fps sometimes. I tried to play Lineage II. . .same result.

i suspect that this may be overheating or my outdated hardware, but i'm not sure what to upgrade

according to EVEREST Home Edition:
    CPU: Intel Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz
    VGA: GeForce FX 5200 [128 MB, AGP 8x]
    Memory: 512 MB [two 256MB DDR SDRAM]

Temperatures
    Motherboard: 38 °C (100 °F)
    CPU: 48 °C (118 °F) it goes as high as 122°F in games
    Aux: 31 °C (88 °F)

is there any other info i need to provide ? what about the PSU ? [and how would i find this info?]

i only have 1 fan and it's used to cool the CPU, the video card does not have a fan, it only has a heat sink that gets really really hot. . .i touched it and could not keep my finger there for more than 2 seconds literally. I tried opening the case with a fan blowing into it. this seems to help a bit but my computer ends up freezing anyways.

i have already updated the drivers for my video card. i haven't tried to overclock anything.

Any suggestions to what i should buy ? i got alot of christmas money =) Thanks so much :wave:
  2. genti

genti Newcomer, in training

i have the same problem

I have the same problem. I was getting the same thing when I was downloading large files from the internet with the the onboard nic (cheap with lots of cpu usage)
    I have temps similar to yours and I have one aditional fan beside the PSU.

I added a small fan that improves the airflow and blows a little air to the RAM since I noticed that the RAM gets really hot.

Adding a decent NIC (thus probably decreasing cpu usage) solved the download problem but my pc freezes during gameplay (actually only Counter Strike)

My CPU runs hot though 52°C at idle.

If anybody has a solution please post it here.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.