Flickr to ditch third-party login support later this month

Shawn Knight

Staff member

yahoo facebook google flickr

Yahoo is moving forward with plans to discontinue access to its services using Facebook and Google logins. After removing the feature from its Tourney Pick’Em service earlier this year, the Mayer campaign is turning its attention to Flickr.

According to a report from The Next Web, the Internet pioneer has been e-mailing users of the photo sharing site about the change. Specifically, they’ll need to create a Yahoo account (or use an existing account) and link it to Flickr before June 30 to continue without a service interruption.

The e-mail added that Yahoo wants to make the transition as easy as possible. As such, users can sign in with their Facebook or Google account one last time to get started on creating a Yahoo ID.

Flickr added third-party login support more than three years ago in an effort to boost the site’s user base but that was before Marissa Mayer took over as Yahoo CEO. It’s now clear that under her leadership, the strategy has been reversed – use the popularity of Flickr to boost Yahoo’s base.

With a unified login, Yahoo says they will be able to offer the best personalized experience possible across all portals. As you may know, Yahoo offers a number of web services in addition to e-mail covering content like sports, news and weather.

One has to wonder how long it’ll take before other major web properties decide to ditch third-party logins.

Permalink to story.

Yeah I stopped using Flickr the moment they made me make a Yahoo account....

Horrible decision, watch your traffic drop.

It would be interesting to see if that happens. You can check this on those "Yahoo Market Share" graphs.

Yahoo tends to be around 10%, Google at around 66%, Bing 15%. It depends on which country.I think Yahoo's share went down a bit last year.

Looks like Yahoo thinks doing like google will be like what google did. Remember them forcing you to have a google account for youtube? Youtube is big enough that they didn't have a significant hit, but Yahoo isn't as big. I personally think they will lose a lot of people this way.

Back