Fn + Function keys are not working on MacBook Pro 13" non-retina

By thehacker
Apr 8, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hello,

Just bought a MacBook Pro 13" Core-i7 non-retina model. I haven't used Mac OS X before. So, I am still learning on how to use it.

The problem is fn + function key combination doesn't seem to work. Suppose when I have a tab open and highlighted in Google Chrome, and if I press fn + F5 it doesn't refreshes the page. Even pressing fn + F1 doesn't brings up the help window. Am I missing something? Is there any specific setting which I need to do? Tried googling it but got no useful solution.

Posting here after a long long time. :)

Thanks and regards.
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,026   +221

FN+F5 is not the refresh function.

Most browsers use <ctl> F5.

Secondly, Mac has historically not used the function keys for anything and left those for applications to define.

Third, the FN+* sequence is usually a hardware control, not software, eg
    on my dell, FN+F2 toggles the wifi on/off.
  3. jobeard

4. thehacker

thehacker TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 176

First of all, thanks for the reply Jobeard.

There are 2 things here:

1. What Fn + * combination should do, varies from one manufacturer to other. Even on dell laptops that you are talking about, on some models, Fn + * combination may act as a hardware switch like turning on/off Wifi, whereas on some other models Fn activates the Function keys (F1-F12) and on these models Functions keys alone act as hardware switches(without Fn being pressed). But on Mac, there is a setting by which we can toggle the function of Fn key.

2. I have tried many things, but still can't refresh the page using a key combo.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.
  5. jobeard

Google Chrome on Windows will refresh the page with F5 or <ctl> F5.

On our Mac, we have Safari & Firefox, but not Chrome so I cant verify your environment
  6. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,264   +215

I too, am one of the few Mac users on this site. But, lol, I don't have Chrome on my MBP to test with. F5, by default, dims the backlight on my keyboard, Fn+F5 though does indeed refresh the page in Opera. (lol, I'm an Opera and a Mac user, that really limits my 'similar user base').
  7. jobeard

And that variation (imo) confirms that the application defines the Fn key usage - - every browser can be different :)
  8. thehacker

thehacker TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 176

Thank you everyone !!
    It seems like there is no other keyboard shortcut to refresh page in Chrome other than Command + R.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.