TechSpot

Fn + Function keys are not working on MacBook Pro 13" non-retina

By thehacker
Apr 8, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hello,

Just bought a MacBook Pro 13" Core-i7 non-retina model. I haven't used Mac OS X before. So, I am still learning on how to use it.

The problem is fn + function key combination doesn't seem to work. Suppose when I have a tab open and highlighted in Google Chrome, and if I press fn + F5 it doesn't refreshes the page. Even pressing fn + F1 doesn't brings up the help window. Am I missing something? Is there any specific setting which I need to do? Tried googling it but got no useful solution.

Posting here after a long long time. :)

Thanks and regards.

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 8,946   +586

FN+F5 is not the refresh function.

Most browsers use <ctl> F5.

Secondly, Mac has historically not used the function keys for anything and left those for applications to define.

Third, the FN+* sequence is usually a hardware control, not software, eg
    on my dell, FN+F2 toggles the wifi on/off.

3. jobeard

4. thehacker

thehacker TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 116

First of all, thanks for the reply Jobeard.

There are 2 things here:

1. What Fn + * combination should do, varies from one manufacturer to other. Even on dell laptops that you are talking about, on some models, Fn + * combination may act as a hardware switch like turning on/off Wifi, whereas on some other models Fn activates the Function keys (F1-F12) and on these models Functions keys alone act as hardware switches(without Fn being pressed). But on Mac, there is a setting by which we can toggle the function of Fn key.

2. I have tried many things, but still can't refresh the page using a key combo.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.

5. jobeard

Google Chrome on Windows will refresh the page with F5 or <ctl> F5.

On our Mac, we have Safari & Firefox, but not Chrome so I cant verify your environment

6. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,681   +392

I too, am one of the few Mac users on this site. But, lol, I don't have Chrome on my MBP to test with. F5, by default, dims the backlight on my keyboard, Fn+F5 though does indeed refresh the page in Opera. (lol, I'm an Opera and a Mac user, that really limits my 'similar user base').

7. jobeard

And that variation (imo) confirms that the application defines the Fn key usage - - every browser can be different :)

8. thehacker

thehacker TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 116

Thank you everyone !!
    It seems like there is no other keyboard shortcut to refresh page in Chrome other than Command + R.