Foam Sound Proofing for your Computer Case

By Arris
Mar 8, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Recently while checking out which HSFs that www.frostytech.com had been reviewing I found this interesting article by one of their staff about his attempts to deaden the sound coming from his PC using some foam made specifically for sound proofing. Seems the results were not too bad.

2. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 Newcomer, in training Posts: 6,504

I was talking to Per today on ICQ as I had to shutdown and fit my FIFTH hard drive inside my computer....

Oh, the noise! The noise! The terrible sound of whirring hard disks and fans and PSUs! Make it stop!
  3. Arris

Arris TechSpot Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 4,536   +92

Maybe worth looking into this then ;)
    Or even move the computer into another room from you....
  4. svtcobra

svtcobra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 875

Dynamat is also making a noise reduction kit. It isnt foam though and I believe that the installation is permanent.
  5. Phantasm66

This is like being stuck in the server room at work forever. I need something like you are suggesting....
  6. Arris

You could always go for BOSE Noise-cancelling headphones...
    or just steal some workmen's ear-defenders :haha:
  7. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,930   +123 Staff Member

P66; I'm considering watercooling and then foaming my harddrive...

It's really not more difficult than finding two pieces of metal and drill three holes in them, two from the top and one on the length, seal em of so it becomes a "system", next place them on the sides of the harddrives and connect hoses to them.

Now just find as much sound proof material as you can and wrap it around the harddrives; granted it won't look pretty but the harddrives will both become cold and quiet...
  8. Phantasm66

Alert my Star Destroyer...

Nice.
  9. svtcobra

svtcobra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 875

Im thinking of throwing my Delta 80mm fan out the window. Let it wind outside.
  10. Ai Hate

Ai Hate Newcomer, in training Posts: 321

maybe i should foam the case then get a BIG fan installed in the front slots blowing air in...
    but, nah... it'll just make the rig noisier...
  11. boeingfixer

boeingfixer Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,245

Sound proofing

As with most of us power users, I too have many fans and bad hearing. What makes it worse is I work on aircraft for a living too. I saw an article in maximum pc I believe that covered this problem. There is a product now out that is like thim foam blankets you cut to fit and stick inside the case for sound deadining. let me check my back issues and see if i can find all the info for us.

12. Butterball

Butterball Newcomer, in training Posts: 79

oh the noise isnt that bad live with a while and it will finaly destroy all of are hearing to the point where you cant hear anything quiter than a nuclear blast. :hotbounce by the way anyone know where i can get a 120mm fan that is quite?
  13. boeingfixer

14. Th3M1ghtyD8

Th3M1ghtyD8 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 794

Surely the use of Foam etc. will make cases even hotter, and in turn increase the need for high rpm fans etc just to cool it?
  15. Arris

Depending on how strict your requirements for cooling are (which in turn is dependent on the degree of overclocking, number of hard disks etc) this doesn't seem to be that bad a solution. Less than 2(C) difference....
    I'm sure the manufacturers of products which have been put together especially for this purpose have also taken heat buildup into consideration ;)
  16. T-Shirt

T-Shirt Newcomer, in training Posts: 329

read the link
    http://www.dynamat.com/
    This explains the conversion of sound energy, into thermal energy.
    It doesn't allow for the insulating effect of sound deadening/absorbing materials, which contains the existing heat, you still need to remove that. but you could build an inlet baffle system to cut the direct noise of the fans.
  17. Arris

18. boeingfixer

That looks good but remember that even if you insulate your case, if you have good airflow IN you need good airfow OUT. If you plan your attack, fans drawing in, then you also need to have the same or close of airflow going out. If it is getting hot inside, then get the hot air out. Try to cool from front to back. Or drawing cool air over the HSF then out the back or top of the case.
  19. Arris

More sound proofing...

www.frostytech.com seem to be focusing on noise deading products just now.
    Today they have a review of Noisecontrol's Magic Fleece.

20. soudlous

soudlous Newcomer, in training

i put some akasa pax mate foam on mine. did'nt help. my experiences. just didn't help. screw that ****. pisses me off. wasted money on that ****. damn. sorry guys.
  21. tom_pearson

tom_pearson Newcomer, in training Posts: 103

I managed to get hold of a load of that corrogated foam that they use in music studios. I cut it all to size and fitted it on more or less every bare panel inside my server case (I have this on in my bedroom while trying to sleep!) It does make quite a difference but it only seems to get rid of the higher frequencies. I've also placed the case on top of some of this foam and put a slab of it around the back of the case on the adjacent wall to deaden the rear exhaust fans. Damn I'm a geek!
  22. Ph30nIX

Ph30nIX Newcomer, in training Posts: 359

The best idea i have seen it to: First remove all the fans, secondly, completely seal your case with silicon. Now all you have to do is fill it with cooking oil and your set. 100% silent and cool. And apparently it works really well!
  23. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

foam is also an excellent thermal insulator. Be careful as you will trap heat normally escaped through the case itself.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.