Folder is unaccessible - Access is denied

I know this is probably not the place to post this, but I could not find anywhere else to put it. I was moving a folder around and must have accidentally clicked something on it. Now it pops up with the access denied message.

I've searched around on Google to try to find how to fix it (That's how I came to this website) and nothing has seemed to help. I cannot find the solution.

One thing that I've noticed is when I right-click the folder verses another folder, the "Sharing and Security" is not there. And also when I click 'Properties' the "Sharing" tab is also not there.

Thanks,
Chezzeh

Edit: I just restarted my computer, and now the folder I was trying to open is completely gone. Before, I had made a shortcut to the folder to try to get into it, and had deleted the folder. I restored it, and tried getting into it again. And my computer began searching for it and never found it. Didn't know if that was useful information or not.

See if you can gain access to it in safe mode.

If not please post your version of windows so I can give instruction to take ownership of the file.

I tried getting my computer in safe mode earlier today, but it didn't go for some reason. My computer also does not restart on its own, or shut off on its own. Would entering safe mode be affected by turning the computer off and trying to enter it in safe mode?

Also, I have Windows XP

You should be able to get into safe mode by using F8, start tapping the key immediately after pushing the on button, then select "Safe Mode" from the list.

If this does not work then follow this guide to take ownership of the file.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Would entering safe mode be affected by turning the computer off and trying to enter it in safe mode?
No, that is the normal way to get into safe mode.

If you still have problems please explain what is happening in more detail.

My computer also does not restart on its own, or shut off on its own.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, please explain how you turn the PC on and off.

When I turn my PC off, I go to the start menu and select turn off computer, and then hit the button that says turn off. My computer starts shutting down, but never completely shuts off. it will go to a blank screen, and just stay like that. It's simular to it being in sleep mode, but it does not respond to the mouse or keys. When it gets to that point, its powerbutton must be manually pushed and held for it to turn off.

As for my problem, I managed to fix it. I had just moved folder moved to a different folder by dragging and dropping it. What I don't understand, is why it created a folder where it had been. it's a mystery to me, but the problem is now gone, and I can get into the folder. : )

Thank you~

Oh good, one problem solved.

Now for the shut down issue. Can you recall making any changes to the PC just before this problem started to happen, any new software or updates? Or has it done this since XP was installed?

I'll waite to have you answer to this before I suggest anything else.

I really can't remember any changes having taken place, sorry. It has had the shutdown issue for many years now (the desktop is about 6 years old). The other users of the computer might have done something with it, but I highly doubt it. They can't even open their email without my guidence. : )

One rare occassions, it will shut off on its own. It tends to do this right after my dad blows the dust out of it. And then it will turn off without the power button manually being pressed, but it won't do it any other time that I recall.

OK, as this has been going on for a long time I believe it may have been from the time XP was installed, is that likely?

Chances are that when XP installed, it failed to install ACPI support
because it was disabled in the BIOS, or your BIOS has an incompatibility
problem with regards to ACPI support. You can try enabling Legacy APM
support in XP by going to the control panel, clicking on the power options,
and see if you have an APM tab. If you do, enable the legacy APM support on
that tab. That may enable proper shutdown. Otherwise, you can try
reinstalling XP (a repair install), making sure the ACPI power management is
fully enabled in the BIOS, and XP will likely pick it up upon
reinstallation and install support for it, enabling proper shutdown.

If this does not work then the only sure solution is to do a clean install of XP, during the installation it is necessary to use the F5 key to enable the ACPI support. I'll give full instructions if required.

sounds like NTFS permission.

If you take folder THIS\ in the path \A\B\C\THIS\ and drag it to another fold like \K\L\M\,
then the settings for folder M\ becomes the parent to THIS\ and the perms of M\
get inherited into THIS\

that new parent can then make THIS\ or files in THIS\* inaccessible when previously it was accessible.

Back