1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

'Folder options' option on toolbar not appearin

By whitemause ยท 6 replies
Jul 3, 2006
  1. Hey guys.I have this problem,its kinda silly but help me out anyway.The thing is am using Xp home edition service pack 2.When u open a folder and go to the toolbar,tools.......there is suppost 2 be a folder options option in the menu tht appears there but i cant c it.It jus vanished a couple of days ago.Now I cant see my hidden files coz I cant access thev view hidden files option.Wat do i do?

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

That`s a strange one. I`ve never heard of that problem before.

Boot into safe mode. See how HERE. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial61.html

See if you can access the folder options from safe mode. Please let us know.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

3. Peddant

Peddant TS Rookie Posts: 1,446

The ever helpful Kelly`s Korner has a fix - Line 129 HERE

For the technically minded -

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "NoFolderOptions"=dword:0000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions]
    "NoBrowserOptions"=dword:00000000

4. whitemause

whitemause TS Rookie Topic Starter

hey guys.I tried the bootin in2 safe mode method&it didnt work.I jus updated my antivirus and disabled system restore on all drives then did a scan on all the drives...& walla!!It seems some pretty mean trojans were eatin up my pc,the 'folder options' option jus reappeared.Thnx 4 ure suggestions.

5. korrupt

korrupt TS Rookie Posts: 716

Glad your problem is fixed, to stop these problems reoccuring use some sort of internet security. Also run virus and spyware scans regularly. Download spybot S&D which has "teatimer" in it, this is a program that runs in the taskbar and blocks spyware etc. I cannot say this enough: KEEP YOUR ANTI VIRUS UP TO DATE. 90% of viruses and trojans that infect computers are newly developped, so even if you have a $200 virus scan, 90% of the time it won't work unless you update.

Hope everything goes OK.

Regards,

Korrupt

6. howard_hopkinso

In that case, I suggest you go HERE and follow the instructions exactly.

Then, post a fresh HJT log into this thread. I`ll then take a look and tell you if your system is clean or not.

I have moved this thread to our security and the web forum.

Regards Howard :)

7. howard_hopkinso

I`ve just deleted your post in this thread HERE. That`s because the thread is currently in use. You should`ve posted you question in this thread.

In answer to your question, yes it`s perfectly safe to run the tools and programmes in addition to your antivirus programme.

Regards Howard :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.