Folders turned to .exe files

Dansk

I inserted my USB in a friend's laptop and I noticed that they all turned into .exe files. I figured it was only because my friend's laptop was very slow and I think it is infected. But when I inserted the USB back to my laptop, the folders remained as .exe. My laptop is probably clean (undergoing a Redirect malware cleaning as of the moment) but I haven't encountered any problems like this before. I can't format my USB because I need the files. Please help.

I have scanned my USB with MSE and results show it had Trojan:Win32/Startpage.gen!A virus and MSE quarantined them.
I still can't access my folders even if I type it on the address bar. No malicious items show up on MBAM. Please help me.

I can't do that anymore. After I've scanned and removed the virus found on MSE, the files disappeared from the list. But I know they're still there because the memory is the same and when I scan it, the file names appear on MSE.

Hello there. Is it okay if I download that? Since I am currently asking for help in removing malware. I wouldn't want to install/use a program that isn't suggested by that helper. It might make him mad or something.

I wouldn't speak for the malware helpers if I were you. Just saying.

Hey Dansk. Everybody who posts a response to you is either trying to help, either right away, or by requesting more info. TDSSKiller is a standalone program, no complex installation required. I heard some people swear by it, and it did find some nasty stuff once on a system I worked on. I use it regurlarly.

Here's the thing, gentle TechSpot members. While the OP is being helped by the Virus and Malware forum helpers, special rules apply. They insist that no applications other than what they say should be installed or run. The OP is advised of this and your instructions to the contrary may lead to confusion on the OP's part. Should the OP do so, the malware helpers may close the thread and further help will not be resumed and since removal of malware will only be discussed in the Virus and Malware forum the OP will be stuck.

While I understand everyone means well, advising the OP to install or use applications outside of the Virus and Malware helper's instructions may have negative consequences as described. I hope you understand and thanks for your cooperation.

I appreciate all the help and I think everyone has their respective points. For now, I will not install the TDSSKiller until I am finished with my malware cleaning and/or advised by my malware helper. Thank you for your advice. :)

I think the files (maybe) are still in the USB but their attribute is changed as hidden by the virus.

you can ask help/advise regarding this matter to your malware helper right after you finished your malware cleaning. :)

Yes, I think so too. I will consult my Malware helper soon. Hopefully, I'll be able to get my files back.

Hi guys, my malware cleaning is done and I have told my malware helper about the problem. He suggested I install either Panda USB Vaccine or the BitDefender's USB Immunizer. I'm still not quite sure about how they work though and what I'll be needing to delete/remove the infections. So, now I am openly asking for help. :)

Hi guys, my malware cleaning is done and I have told my malware helper about the problem. He suggested I install either Panda USB Vaccine or the BitDefender's USB Immunizer. I'm still not quite sure about how they work though and what I'll be needing to delete/remove the infections. So, now I am openly asking for help. :)
If your malware helper suggested that you install those programs, simply ask him for any operational help.

Back