For all the guru's out there

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a lite-on 1693s dvd burner that does not read store bought movies if they are over 4.2 gb in size. The burner is suppose to be capable of reading dual layer. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drive, both in safe mode and regular mode. I am running windows XP sp2. The drive will read store bought dvd movies with no problem if they are less than 4.2 gb in size. It also burns dvd's without a problem. I have searched everywhere and could not find a solution to this problem. I would think it is some kind of software problem since the drive can still read smaller sized dvd movies. any help appreciated.

r. schram

It could be one of two issues:

1. The drive is defective or broke

2. you do not have the appropriate drivers

I see you're still struggling with your lite-on 1693s issues. :(

Could you post the information DVDInfoPro presents you about your burner? (Just click the camera icon. DVDInfoPro will create a copy of the image you are seeing. Just save it as a .jpg file. Then post the .jpg to this thread by clicking the TechSpot paper clip icon when you create your next post)

The DVDInfoPro image will also display the firmware version for your burner. I'm more suspicious of the firmware then the drivers and would like to see all the capabilities currently indicated.

you forgot the attachment (it also must be less then 100KB as i recall but don't think that should be aproblem)

only had time for a quick look so double check this....

but
1, You certain you have the latest firmware?

2. DVDInfoPro says your firmware version currently on the burner is KC4B

3. Which is nowhere similar to what i found as the filename for your hardware model after a quick look at lite-on site fro SOHW-K1693s

Is odd. no time to look further now.. do you recall what/from where you did your firmware update? Go to the same process as i and see what lite-on gives you. Note the update it gave me as created in 3/06

replaced dvd burner and now everything is fine. i wonder what could be wrong with the old one. i thought i was odd that it could read smaller file size dvd movies and not the bigger ones. i am going to try it in my other computer, because it burns dvd's fine and cd's. hey lookinaround, if you have any more suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. thanks for your help so far. the firmware i had on it was from a tech site that puts out different firmware. i just wanted to see if it made a difference. i lets you change the speed of the drive. i returned it to the Lite-on firmware now.

r. schram

i returned it to the Lite-on firmware now.
Did you download/install the firmware i showed you from the lite-on web site?

And remember the "larger" file is made up of 2 layers of data burned into the DVD surface. A drive must know about both layers and know how to transition between layers to be able to read the "larger" file size

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back