For the first time ever, Bill Gates is no longer Microsoft's largest shareholder

By Shawn Knight
May 3, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. For the first time in the nearly 40-year history of Microsoft, co-founder Bill Gates isn't the company's largest shareholder. That title now belongs to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer thanks to a Gates stock sale that was made public on...

Read more
  2. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,656   +507

Micro soft no more, it is now an Indian off-shore :)
  3. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,921   +724

For shore.
    Raoul Duke likes this.
  4. wastedkill

wastedkill TechSpot Maniac Posts: 1,100   +222

Wouldn't it make more sense to keep the shares as the dividends would greatly increase the amount of cash he would have gotten if he hadnt had sold his shares?

Specially seeing as he only gained a meager $184mill from selling those 4.6mill shares so wouldn't his cash earned in total be greater if he kept the shares and got the dividens or am I wrong in thinking dividens are worth it?
  5. How is EmBallmer's net worth so far off that of BillG if he owns more M$ shares? Does BillG own heaps of other assets I've never heard about, but Forbes did?
  6. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TechSpot Booster Posts: 956   +96

Mr. Gates = G.O.A.T.
  7. Yes, the majority of Gates' wealth is through other investments and has been for a long time.
  8. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,330   +380

LOL...I don't have $76 in my pocket. And he has 76 billion in the bank.

Crazy.
    H3llion likes this.
  9. GhostRyder

GhostRyder TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,162   +506

Never thought I would see this day, I would have thought that I would see this unless Bill Gates passed away. But then again he has been selling off his shares so its to be expected.
  10. misor

misor TechSpot Addict Posts: 990   +147

Mr. ballmer was 'forced out' of his CEO position yet still he commands a very large sum of money, a tiny fraction of which I'll never see in this lifetime or the next or even if I live a thousand lives.

bill gates = real-life santa. may he have more success.
  11. turismozilla

turismozilla Newcomer, in training Posts: 19

I am like failing to even give a fraction of a ****, big time. Seriously, this was worth an article?

12. RH00D

RH00D TechSpot Addict Posts: 393   +101

Nobody forced you to click on the article, read it, or even leave a comment. Considering you did all 3 of those, I'd wager you give somewhat of a ****.
    spectrenad likes this.
  13. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,541   +859

Somehow, some way, I think Ballmer has something on Gates, and he's blackmailing him.

I had thought Bill Gates retired, and left Ballmer in charge as a practical joke. Now I'm not so sure.
  14. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,884   +77

I thought Google owned Microsoft...hmm
  15. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,541   +859

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  16. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,884   +77

17. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,799   +882

Haha yeah.
  18. Dividends are nice, but are rarely given out regularly. I'm guessing he needed cash fast, and he's been offloading MS shares for a long time anyway, so there.
  19. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TechSpot Guru Posts: 676   +41

Smart move, with the Xbox one a complete failure and Windows 8 adoption rates extremely poor, it's time to leave the sinking ship before it's shares are worthless.
    Toons and lmike6453 like this.
  20. Bail out while you're ahead.
  21. Misagt

Misagt Newcomer, in training Posts: 31   +8

This isn't really news, aside from him not being the largest shareholder. He's been selling off 20mil shares each quarter for over 10 years now. Although this might of been a special sales of shares this time. He's been on track for a long time to be out of shares I think it's by 2020. Which I think makes sense as he would be 65 by then.
  22. Toons

Toons Newcomer, in training

Guys, guys, guys, can't you see he is relinquishing his post and moving onwards with life… when you have 76Billion in the bank who cares about majority shares… listed below was the charitable organization that he is now more interested in. He is moving on and now watch sales decrease… watch out for the fire sale… or discounted shares that will come … mark my words…

23. Is he 80 years old?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.