TechSpot

For those of you that play Pokémon competively...

By greatman05
Oct 11, 2009
Post New Reply
  1. ...Why is it that Pokémon like Weavile and Alakazam are allowed to have terrible defenses instead of putting any sort of investment into improving their defenses?

2. snowchick7669

snowchick7669 TS Maniac Posts: 660

Wait a minute.....

People play pokemon competitively?

3. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 3,435   +145

Lol!
    I've never heard of it...
    Are you talking about the card game?
    Have you considered that the game may just be imbalanced?

4. greatman05

greatman05 TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 429

I'm talking about the video game and its simulation, Pokemon Netbattle (Supremacy for Gen. IV)

5. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 3,481   +44

Why are we talkin about this on this forum again...

6. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,219   +157

just for clarification, is this the card game that 9 year olds play?

7. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +70

Naa, red, you can actually play competively between DS hand consoles. I know teens that play it competively.

8. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 3,435   +145

I have no idea, but because its a DS game, it probably can't be updated, therefore, it may be imbalanced by design.

Isn't Pokemon RPG style? How would that work competativly?

9. red1776

oh okay, i thought i had seen my daughter playing it with cards a time or two

10. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,388

"Teens that play it competitively" huh? Wow. I'm 17 and I wouldn't be caught dead playing that :)

11. Technochicken

Technochicken TechSpot Paladin Posts: 729

I was thinking that exact same thing:D (minus being 17). I'm guessing it Route44 was referring to young teens.

12. red1776

:haha: well put Metal, I asked my 9 year old about it and she the same thing.

13. greatman05

greatman05 TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 429

Well, I mean, there are some competitive elements to it...Link battles, WiFi battles, EV training, picking out Pokémon based on stats, etc. To each his own, I suppose...I'm a big fan of the games, so...yeah. For me, age has nothing to do with how much I enjoy something...I still occasionally watch Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon (not as often as I used to 'cause the newer shows are starting to suck...bad).

14. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +70

If you would have asked elementary kids from about 6 years ago as well as some teens they had no problem playing Pokemon on their Game Boy Advances or with cards.

Now it is passe'. And what is "in" now will soon be passe' as well. It is the Link Battles that greatman05 points to that has a fun aspect. And I agree, the stuff Nickelodeon puts out now are terrible.

15. werepossum

werepossum TS Rookie Posts: 31

Surely competitive Pokémon playing is a sign of the Apocalypse, no?