Ford Mustang GT Power Wheels features traction control, stability control and sound system

Shawn Knight

Staff member

One of the highlights of my youth was owning a go-kart. I was the envy of all the neighborhood kids but when my family relocated to an area that didn’t allow for such gas-powered fun, it was sold and replaced with a Power Wheels-style 3-wheeler.

Needless to say, going from a serious driving experience to second-hand electric toy wasn’t much fun. Had something like Fischer-Price’s new Ford Mustang GT Power Wheels been available, I suspect the transition wouldn't have been so bad.

The pint-sized Mustang GT is designed to hold up to two riders comfortably (recommended for ages 3-7) with a total weight limit of 130 pounds. The built-in sound system with touch screen display comes with a few pre-loaded songs and sound effects although kids can bring their own tunes via MP3 player. The display is also used to adjust speed settings (maximum of 5 mph forward, 2.5 mph reverse), view battery status and alert drivers when traction control or stability control kick in. Wait, what?

Indeed, the mini Mustang GT features a dynamic traction control system that adjusts the speed of the electric motors when it detects wheel spin as well as a stability control system that can turn the motors off to prevent rollovers at unsafe angles. There’s also Smooth Start Technology that enables smooth acceleration at lower speeds.

That’s some impressive technology for a toy of this caliber and should provide overly cautious parents peace of mind.

The Power Wheels Ford Mustang GT goes on sale next month priced at $360.

Permalink to story.

Unfortunately things like this didn't exist back in my day, we used to build soap box carts and race them using human power. Not as sophisticated and as expensive as these, but just as much fun, and healthier, due to all the running and exercise involved.

TFW your friend can drift his Jeep Power Wheels but you can't drift your Mustang because your parents wanted to protect you.

Battery life? Looks poor cheap toy come on Tesla make a mini kids version...and what's law on these things insurance tax etc required? As just the hoverboards are fringed apon

Hey, its just like a real sportscar! With a bunch of useless crap added to justify doubling the price!
As I see it, you got that right! And the Touchscreen is designed to teach kids distracted driving at an early age so they can continue that habit into adulthood and "adult car" driving. This is probably some marketing scheme up by Ford to indoctrinate kids at an early age.

Toy cars .... sheeeezzzeeeee .... I was always happy just driving the old Ford Golden Jubilee tractor around the farm!

Yeah, for the 124 days that your preschooler is within the acceptable size to fit in one of these And be strong enough to steer it, it is a hella' good deal - lol (aka, they outgrow it by the time it warms up to enjoy it, for those that don't know what snow is).

Back