Ford plans to launch its all-electric F-150 pickup truck by mid-2022

Polycount

Staff
In brief: Tesla is not the only company with plans to release an all-electric pickup truck, though it certainly has a head start. Ford is working on its own electrified F-150 as confirmed today by company COO Jim Farley. The release window for the vehicle: it will enter full production by mid-2022.

It's no wonder that Ford has chosen the F-150 as its first all-electric pickup truck -- the vehicle is one of the most popular in the United States and it consistently ranks highly in "best pickup truck" round-ups throughout the web. This is primarily thanks to its reasonably comfortable interior, towing potential, and long-term reliability.

We have no idea how the F-150's all-electric model will stack up against its ICE counterparts when it releases, but Ford will likely try to preserve as many of its capabilities as possible. After all, if the carmaker expects F-150 fans to buy into an EV variant, it needs to offer a comparable experience.

With that said, we have no reason to doubt Ford's abilities at the moment. In mid-2019, the company released a 5-minute video of its electric F-150 prototype, which allegedly shows the vehicle towing over 1 million pounds of weight -- you can see that above.

If that video is accurate, pickup truck drivers will likely be pleased with the EV's performance, though we'll need to see range details to say for sure.

Ford will officially unveil its all-electric F-150 next month, so we probably won't have to wait long to find out what sort of specs it will pack and how much it will cost. In addition to the F-150, Ford also plans to release an all-electric Transit van by mid-2022.

Permalink to story.

So basically, I have to sit on my Ford stock for 2 years.

It sounds exciting, but their biggest problem is the hard sell for men who typically buy a Ford Truck and know that an electric truck doesn't fit their lifestyle unless it offers tremendous torque, range and charges fast.

That is going to be one expensive truck knowing Ford. Well, knowing all current truck manufacturers.

Actually there was an article recently that stated that Ford's key objective was to keep the basic truck under $50K because they understand the resistance in the market place. They are also reported to be in negotiation with Tesla to have them provide the battery(s) for the thing which should be VERY interesting .....

I have said for at least 10 years I will be in the first line for an all-electric Pick Up from either Ford or Ram and finally here we are. Can't wait for the specs and price details.

So basically, I have to sit on my Ford stock for 2 years.

It sounds exciting, but their biggest problem is the hard sell for men who typically buy a Ford Truck and know that an electric truck doesn't fit their lifestyle unless it offers tremendous torque, range and charges fast.

I dont fully agree. Personally I use my truck as a truck and purchased the v8 cause I love the sound.

But, I see a lot of people driving Raptors and Platinums/Limiteds with no intention of ever loading the bed with material or taking them offroad. I think it they create an all electric with all the high end comfort options they will sell to these same people no problem.

The hard sell would be to the working man/woman. The worry of running out of juice for your truck on a job or in route is a big one most people in the trades would rather avoid. I know for a fact if we purchased a ton of electric transit vans for our guys it would only be a matter of time before one of them forgot to charge overnight and was stranded somewhere in town.

Actually there was an article recently that stated that Ford's key objective was to keep the basic truck under $50K because they understand the resistance in the market place. They are also reported to be in negotiation with Tesla to have them provide the battery(s) for the thing which should be VERY interesting .....

IMO,once Ford, Toyota, and Honda get into the EV game for real, Tesla is going to get its lunch eaten. Unless Bosch pulls a rabbit out of its hat in terms of EV tech like batteries and motors, I expect Tesla to become an ODM/OEM to all the major auto manufacturers - which will be a good thing overall. Supplying parts certainly is not as glamorous, but the revenue stream can be significantly higher and more diversified.

Whoa man. How is the weather back there in 1998?

No electric car can be recharged in under 5 minutes nor has range that would allow someone to cover 7-800 miles in a day. They simply don't compete with real cars and trucks. Sure it's got torque but I promise you my 77 F100 can do more work and cross more ground than this electric joke.

Not only that, but I'm still using the original motor, and fuel tank and it still holds a full tank of the size as it did new. Show me an electric car that could match those conditions. You can't a 5 year old battery will be lucky to have half it's capacity. These things are for the *****s who buy a truck to drive to and from work with a lift kit, they will never replace a truck that is used like a truck.

No electric car can be recharged in under 5 minutes nor has range that would allow someone to cover 7-800 miles in a day. They simply don't compete with real cars and trucks. Sure it's got torque but I promise you my 77 F100 can do more work and cross more ground than this electric joke.

Not only that, but I'm still using the original motor, and fuel tank and it still holds a full tank of the size as it did new. Show me an electric car that could match those conditions. You can't a 5 year old battery will be lucky to have half it's capacity. These things are for the *****s who buy a truck to drive to and from work with a lift kit, they will never replace a truck that is used like a truck.
Congrats. Now you are up to 2008.

Let me save you any future attempts. I have 2 employees with electric cars. One is a Model 3 and one is a Model S. I have driven them, I have rented a Model 3 once for a week just for kicks. Electric vehicles are here to stay....mostly because they are superior in almost every way. Not to mention that Tesla and VW are on the very edge of batteries that will last 1.2 million miles and GM has one nearly ready that will last a million miles.

Now a million miles will be nothing for an electric motor and with little to no maintenance. So get back to me when your 77 F-100 reaches a million miles (Hint-It won't)

And lastly, I can promise you that very, very few Pickups travel 700-800 miles per day, and even at that Tesla's 200kW Supercharger equates to 850 miles for each hour of charging so even there, it won't be long.

Congrats. Now you are up to 2008.

Let me save you any future attempts. I have 2 employees with electric cars. One is a Model 3 and one is a Model S. I have driven them, I have rented a Model 3 once for a week just for kicks. Electric vehicles are here to stay....mostly because they are superior in almost every way. Not to mention that Tesla and VW are on the very edge of batteries that will last 1.2 million miles and GM has one nearly ready that will last a million miles.

Now a million miles will be nothing for an electric motor and with little to no maintenance. So get back to me when your 77 F-100 reaches a million miles (Hint-It won't)

And lastly, I can promise you that very, very few Pickups travel 700-800 miles per day, and even at that Tesla's 200kW Supercharger equates to 850 miles for each hour of charging so even there, it won't be long.

Yea keep dreaming buddy, at the end of the day my truck is far more useful than those electric toys. No electric is not here to stay, hydrogen fuel cells would be a smarter move. I will never buy an electric pile of junk, as for hitting a million miles sure it can or are you forgetting some be people are still driving trucks nearly 100 years old. Electric cars won't last, it's just a fad. And the supercharger still takes longer to give a full charge than a gas pump does to fill my tank. The fact is I will cover more ground per day than electric toy. I'm sorry your employees wasted their money.

those electric toys
Much sooner than you may think, internal combustion will be the toy.
hydrogen fuel cells would be a smarter move
Hydrogen Fuel cells? You should not be in this conversation. Hydrogen fuel cells power electric motors.
Electric cars won't last, it's just a fad
And back to 1998.
And the supercharger still takes longer to give a full charge than a gas pump does to fill my tank
I never said it was there. My exact words were "It won't be long".
I'm sorry your employees wasted their money
They thank you for that. And laughed at you.

Much sooner than you may think, internal combustion will be the toy.

Hydrogen Fuel cells? You should not be in this conversation. Hydrogen fuel cells power electric motors.

And back to 1998.

I never said it was there. My exact words were "It won't be long".

They thank you for that. And laughed at you.

And yet I'll cover more ground than they can. Electric isn't a viable alternative it never will be. Anyone who goes out and buys one automatically becomes a *****. When their Tesla is sitting waited to be melted down I'll still be driving my truck.

I'm sorry you don't hire smarter emplyees

And yet I'll cover more ground than they can
They "cover" 50-75 miles a day. Like 90% of the world.
I'm sorry you don't hire smarter emplyees
You have shown a complete lack of knowledge on the subject.
You even said, " No electric is not here to stay, hydrogen fuel cells would be a smarter move" when those cells are just another way to power electric motors.
I'm quite sure they were smarter than you when they were 5.

They "cover" 50-75 miles a day. Like 90% of the world.

You have shown a complete lack of knowledge on the subject.
You even said, " No electric is not here to stay, hydrogen fuel cells would be a smarter move" when those cells are just another way to power electric motors.
I'm quite sure they were smarter than you when they were 5.

No if they where they wouldn't buy a car with the life span of an iPhone. Miles per battery means nothing because a battery looses 10-12% capicity every year, meaning in 10 years they get to shell out the cost of a new car to replace the batteries, making those cars throw aways. There is nothing smart about them, and anyone saying better for the environment has no idea how toxic old batteries are. So no I'm sorry they and those like them bought into a fad. Hydrogen fuel cells can be used in combustion and the waste product is water, it's also easier to refill. Hydrogen should be the future not to power an electric motor but to power the next generation of combustion engines

And here we go again. I wish you would just stop with your bullshit.

Miles per battery means nothing because a battery looses 10-12% capicity every year

On average 90% battery capacity after 8 years.
has no idea how toxic old batteries are
They get recycled and have no impact
Hydrogen should be the future not to power an electric motor but to power the next generation of combustion engines
You have no idea how stupid that sounds.

Brother you need to Google everything you want to say. You keep bringing a stick of butter to a gun fight.

Candle_86 and scavengerspc, please discontinue your personal argument and personal comments. If you feel the need to continue your discussion, please do so though PM. Thank you.

OK back to the real world. Anyone interested in the upcoming F150 electric can read up on its "Frunk" here at Car & Driver. It's from December but has been updated.

Last edited:
Back