TechSpot

Format and factory install a Gateway laptop

By elzorro2003
Jan 4, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I got infected with the "system check virus" which is making my files hidden. So I can't go to the Gatweway Recovery Center to do it automatically. I'm on Windows Vista.

I tried doing all the "F" pressing that takes me to the "Repair" screen but that doesn't work either. It ends up taking me to a screen that asks for a user name and password and I can't get past that.

Seems the solution is to format the drive.

My Recovery Partition is on the D drive for Gateway. I am able to access a Command Prompt.

Can someone help me and let me know if it's possible to just format the C drive and then somehow reinstall windows vista from that recovery partition?

Any help is appreciated thanks!
  2. cheeryabc

cheeryabc TS Member Posts: 26

I am wondering you are already entering into WinPE Reconvery Mode.
    If you can access to Command Prompt.
    Try to this command to format you c driver:
    format c:/q
  3. elzorro2003

elzorro2003 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Once that formats, how would I reinstall my windows vista from the partition drive. I don't want to format the drive and then not be able to reinstall vista?
  4. cheeryabc

cheeryabc TS Member Posts: 26

The recovery partion of laptop usually being a hiden partion with recovery file and I am sure this hiden partion is non-system driver.
    Your laptop do really have a factory restore?
    Could you please have a check of your disk management?
    You can work with this command: "compmgmt.msc".

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.