TechSpot

formatting a hard drive

By jon9989
Apr 7, 2007
  1. Hello All, I have 2 hard drive, my 1 hard drive is Partitioned in two, C drive and D drive , My first question is can I format just the D drive without damaging the C drive? how ?

The secound quietion is My secound hard drive is only partitioned to one drive E drive haw can I split the hard drive to two or three partition? and do I have to format first before spliting it?
    I thank you for your help.
    Jon

2. greatman05

greatman05 TS Maniac Posts: 536

Well, for starters, you can format the D: partition without damaging the C: partition. They are treated as two separate drives. As for the second question, you might want to get a partition manager like Acronis Disk Director and see if that works for splitting your E: drive into multiple partitions.

3. visch1

visch1 TS Rookie

Over the years I've had excellent results with Partition Magic.

4. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Partition Magic is a pain because it is only good for year. Acronis is good, as is System Commander. You can also boot to a floppy W98 boot, then format as FAT. Use Windows disc to reformat as NTFS

5. visch1

visch1 TS Rookie

Pardon me: "Partition Magic is a pain because it is only good for year." Now that's news to me! Got my PM 8.0 when I was using PM7. Now how many years was that- 5-7,8? What happens to it that I'm not aware of? Was using mine when 10G drives were big, yesterday used it to partition a 500G sata.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.