Formatting external drive after dvr formatting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recorded some saved programs on my Dish Network DVR 622 to an external hard drive that formatted it for that purpose according to their instructions. Can the external hard drive now be reused by being hooked up to my standalone computer and reformatted or have I lost it because of that use? If so, how do I do it? I do not want to save anything on the drive--just format it and use it for a different purpose. I no longer have the Dish DVR. When I connect the external drive to my desktop I do not even see an icon for it in My Computer.
Thanks for any help.

Hi

its possible it has been formatted using a non standard file system, use disk manager to view the drive and remove any partitions on it, then use disk manager to recreate parttions on the drive

Start >settings> control panel> admin tools >computer management >disk manager.

need more help

OK, Thank you--I did progress and opened the Disk Managment window. I do see the drive listed. It is listed as Disk 5, Basic, 465.76 GB, Online and then I see next to that box 2 partition boxes. 1.01 GB ,Healthy (Primary Partition) and the other one says 464.75 GB, Healthy (Primary Partition). I do not know what to do next. Can you please help me with this? I want to wipe out the contents and be able to use it on my computer. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back