Formatting hard drive to FAT32

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbqchip

Hi I just got a 500gb external hard drive and its in NTFS. How do I format it to FAT32?
I'm using window xp home.

Thank You

Yes OK, that is kinda what I said but what makes you think that because theres a USB it's for a HDD? and what do you wish to accomplish with a the FAT32 HDD and the DVD player?

yeah what syndr0me said its for watching movie the dvd player can read dixv. It work with my 1gb usb and its a FAT32 plus i read reviews saying the dvd player cant read NTFS

OK, simple. If its pluged with by USB wire, it should appear in your "My computer" just like a sort a USB drive.

Just right click it, then click format. Choose FAT32 and wait.

It should then now be FAT32, just drag and drop files into the Drive folder like if it where a USB stick.

I think thats what you are looking for.

Cheers

Tmagic650

What are you talking about? that is hes problem. Read carefully please. He dosent want to install windows on it, he just wants to use it as a mobile video storage devie... or thats what i understoog lol

I don't now much about FAT32, but I think the drive is to big to be portioned that way. Theres a limit to FAT32

But 200gb in my xbox is FAT32 so I really don't know.

"I'm running Vista so I only have NTFS as an option"...

I think the XBox uses a proprietary format under FAT32, so it's the XBox that handels the format. Your DVD player might have a similar option under Options in it's setup utility. Now I think we are all on the same page here

I think you need a partition tool. Like when your in the windows installation menu, it asked you for FAT or NTFS. try to broswe the forums for these of topics.

"I think the XBox uses a proprietary format under FAT32, so it's the XBox that handels the format. Your DVD player might have a similar option under Options in it's setup utility. Now I think we are all on the same page here..."

syndr0me,
I edited this post after you made your "He said he tried and it did not work or thats what a site said"... comment. What about tying this?

Very good -- we finally arrived at the issue;

XP (Vista) will not format FAT32 for more than 32gb. Larger sizes are possible,
just not using MS software :)

If you have access to Win/98se or any Linux system, these will do the job.
(Linux calls it vfat)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back