Former Sony engineer sues Nintendo for $9.80 of every 3DS sold

By Matthew
Feb 28, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. A Manhattan district court jury heard opening arguments on Monday about a 2011 patent infringement complaint filed by a former Sony engineer against Nintendo over the 3DS' display technology. Seijiro Tomita, a 30-year Sony veteran who retired in 2002 to...

Read more
  2. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,072   +75

If Tomita's claim is valid, I hope he gets what is owed to him. This doesn't seem like the usual patent trolling case, and I generally root for the little guy in instances like this anyway.
    bielius and ikesmasher like this.
  3. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

Given that Nintendo is a Japanese company, I wouldnt be surprised if they did "steal" his idea. Four of the people that his invention was demonstarted to ended up on the dev team for it. That right there looks like his claims MIGHT be true. I had really hoped that Nintendo had moved away from the slightly shady business practices that they had been accussed of in the 1990's.
  4. TS-56336

TS-56336 TechSpot Booster Posts: 571   +98

The display in the 3DS is sourced from Sharp, so Nintendo shouldn't have to defend itself from this lawsuit. Sharp would theoretically have to indemnify Nintendo against patent trolls like this. It's also not the first time this display tech has been used in consumer electronics, so it would be interesting to see what the basis of this claim is.
  5. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,917   +119 Staff Member

Well I did not look into this but why are you defending them on the grounds that Sharp manufacturers the display?
    Sony very well may may have designed it and Sharp just manufacturers it to their specifications...
  6. veLa

veLa TechSpot Booster Posts: 487   +75

Man I hope he wins some money at least.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.