Found new hardware wizard unable to locate software

okay, this is my first post on techspot! I apologize in advance for what might be a very newbie question.

I need to access an older IDE drive in my computer. I have successfully accessed the drive. The OS for this particular drive (Samsung drive) is Windows XP

This is the first time I have accessed this drive on our "Hackintosh" as we mainly use the Mac drive, but my M-Audio only works on this particular drive, as the other drive we have uses Windows 7 OS which is not compatible with the M-Audio and Pro Tools. *Note in total we have 4 hard drives: 1 for Mac, 2 for Win 7, and 1 for Win XP

So, here is where I am confused....when I boot up the old IDE drive, and access Win XP, the Found New Hardware wizard begins detecting a ton of new hardware:

1) ethernet controller
2) PCI device
3) SM Bus Controller
4) Base System Device

I tried following the Wizard's instructions, but it is unable to find software on my system or via searching online.

The only discs I have for our computer are, the graphics card and motherboard. I am not even sure if it is detecting my LG DVD drive.

How do I methodically locate and install the hardware for all of the above hardware?

How do I check to see what hardware has been successfully installed?

Thanks!

Hi Sydney1 :wave:
And welcome to TechSpot!

You should be able to find the latest drivers for your computer by looking at computer/motherboard vendor's website and looking for your particular model (from your system specs you have Gigabyte? look here)

Which XP Service Pack (SP) level do you have installed?

Windows should be able to provide some more detail about those Plug and Play devices with driver issues (and i can help interpret its output)
List any Problem Devices
  • Make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

Back