Found New Printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajb924

Few weeks ago i had removed my printer from its port and put it in another for few minutes, and now even though the printer is not longer in that port its promoting me every time when the windows start that a new hardware is found even though the printer is not longer attached to that port.

any help please what can i do so next time i start the windown it wont promot me again to install the printer

thanksssss

What Windows version are you using?

Dd you connect that printer to another PC or to another port in the same PC?
Is it a paralell or USB printerport?
And where is that printer now?

Windows XP, i connected the printer to another USB port in the same PC and then i re put it to its original port. so now the printer is attached to its original port

In your settings/control panel/add-remove hardware click on uninstall/unplug a device / uninstall / and mark "show hidden devices".
You will find 2 entries for your printer. Remove them both, then reboot your PC. It will automatically install your printer again and that should be it.

Have a go at this website: http://www.usbman.com/ if you have more problems

thanks for your help but in win xp control panel theres only add new hardware and no add-remove hardware

the only add-remove i have is add-remove program

Remove the USB controllers and the printer in Device manager. Windows XP will auto detect them them again.

I don't know XP (I have W2K), however try it the other way around.

Cleanup the Device Manager / Windows Safe Mode

From initial installation problems to suddenly not working USB, cleaning up the Device Manager in Safe mode is the first step in Win9X troubleshooting. Many hardware related problems in Windows can be traced to ghost and/or duplicate device entries. Obsolete and/or duplicate devices can ONLY be seen and removed from the Device Manager while in Windows Safe Mode. For a good “How To”, see here:

http://www.usbman.com/Guides/Cleanup Device Manager Safe Mode.htm

I found the above on the USBMAN website that I gave you earlier.
You should spend some time there !

Same Problem, Not USB

Great information so far about the "Found New Printer " message. I get it every time I boot up with my HPLaserjet3100 attached via parallel port.

Even though I use it every day, the Add New Hardware Wizard launches every time I reboot and no matter what I do, it errors out saying "Cannot install hardware" Because it takes a special parallel cable (micro-centronix) and lacks a USB interface, I have only attached it to my computer via this single port.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA --Jase

Jaseinatl, what OS?
Try removing/uninstalling the printer and its driver in Device Manager/Add-remove Software.

In Device manager check for hidden devices (you might have a few entries for your printer; remove them all). Reboot without the printer connected.
Before you install the drivers again, stop all current programs, especially antivirus stuff, except Systray and Explorer.
Install the driver, then reconnect the printer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back