TechSpot

Found: This robot solves a Rubik's Cube in the blink of an eye

By Shawn Knight
Oct 1, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I’ve never been any good at solving a Rubik’s Cube but I do know some people that are. During my last trip to cover the Consumer Electronics Show, I set up an impromptu face-off between the two gurus. It lasted...

Read more

2. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 975   +87

My best time was under 2 minutes. And I got lucky then.

3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,349   +398

Wow. I know it's simple algorithms to figure it out, but that's still pretty impressive.

4. p51d007

p51d007 TS Booster Posts: 327   +50

The video didn't really show you the 4-5 minute setup. They sat it in front of a camera that took shots of all 6 sides first, which told the computer which motor to turn a certain way, but still pretty neat.

5. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,088   +747

Wow. What a wonderful robot to have if that's all it does. Just what I've always wanted. :(

Ranger12 likes this.
  6. The robot has 6 hands but the boy only 2.

7. Camikazi

Camikazi TS Enthusiast Posts: 352   +57

It's the same thing that humans do we just do it faster but the robot can apply that solution faster. Give it time and robots will process images fast enough to do this faster than we can.

8. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,003   +1,503

I've solved a few but never really comprehended the third layer sequences. All I could do was follow the sequences and hope for the best. lol

I'm going to question if the cube was actually solved or if the robot simply reversed the process of scrambling the cube. I would need to see them personally scramble a cube and then have the robot solve it.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.