TechSpot

Four lines of code to hop over The New York Times paywall

By Emil
Mar 22, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Dave Eurica, a Canadian reader of the online version of The New York Times, was rather annoyed to find that the website was blocking him from reading a lot of articles. He looked into the matter and found that the "paywall" erected by the publication was written in JavaScript. This means the blocked articles are actually being loaded up in the HTML in the back.

Read the whole story

2. posermobile89

posermobile89 TS Rookie Posts: 72

What a horrible idea to have to pay but to implement it in javascript... -_-

Love seeing jquery though :)

3. posermobile89

posermobile89 TS Rookie Posts: 72

Also, I bet they will quickly change this to be server side

4. Jesse

Jesse TechSpot Staff Posts: 369   +40

I imagine this could be labeled as one of the "bugs" they were looking for. Looks like they will have to get a little more creative than using Prototype.

5. Obvious.. i just don't read the NY Times

6. Emin3nce

Emin3nce TS Rookie Posts: 129

I read the latest news without paying... and most sites just counter-source anyway.

7. ...Why exactly is the security on the client-side?

Clearly some intern thought he was being clever.

8. Technically that's three lines of code and one line of comments.

9. olibenu

olibenu TS Rookie Posts: 24

ok, so your connection is used to ship the pages from their server to your browser and then you can not see it? not fair!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.