TechSpot

Fox News Twitter account hacked, claims President Obama killed

By Emil
Jul 4, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. The Fox News Politics Twitter account, which FoxNews.com uses to publish its political news on Twitter, was hacked earlier this morning. The hackers, who identified themselves as "The Script Kiddies"…

Read the whole story

2. howzz1854

howzz1854 TS Evangelist Posts: 602   +86

someone, some people are going to prison for a VERY long time. it's all fun and game until you and your friends end up in the prison picking up soaps.

3. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,270   +91

Huh. Even if this had truly been Fox News, I wouldn't even be surprised.

Oh no, <i>never</i> pick up the soap...!

4. Prosercunus

Prosercunus TS Booster Posts: 134   +14

Wow.... on 4th of July even? Some people really are shameless.

5. I agree 100%

It is a big lol moment and now it filters down to someone potentially getting some serious legal action against them.

I bet no harm have come from this,apart from the security guys from twitter who now have explaining to do...big time!

6. lipe123

lipe123 TS Evangelist Posts: 658   +174

maybe that password of fox123 on the account was a little insecure?

7. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,698   +1,884

If the 300 pound man serving life for triple homicide told you to, would you pick it up then....? :confused:.

8. ColdPreacher

ColdPreacher TS Rookie Posts: 56

Gladly, with smiling cheeks.

9. matrix86

matrix86 TS Guru Posts: 812   +26

.....******* teenagers. Anonymous always has a dignified purpose to their attacks. This was just children trying to be funny. Anonymous doesn't attack for the simple fact that they can. Don't put yourself in the same group as them.

10. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,106   +97

I believe I would take a chance and risk it by fighting him... That, or I would learn to pick up the soap with my feet.

11. Mindwraith

Mindwraith TS Enthusiast Posts: 186

hope they catch those little asses and put them behind bars

12. example1013

example1013 TS Enthusiast Posts: 265

You mean like when they deface facebook memorials?

13. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,682   +86

Serves them right ;)

Okay, so I deduct from this that, US Secret Service has nothing 'productive' to do, other then helping a bunch hysterical newscasters.

14. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,698   +1,884

Actually, the standards for the Secret Service getting involved in an issue like this are very broad.

First, a post like "Obama has been killed", can easily be interpreted as a veiled threat.

Given that Obama is reasonably popular, and also a minority figurehead, it's just as easy to tack on, "risking a catastrophe", insisting that he's been murdered.

I really don't have any sympathy for the so called "hacktivist groups". They mostly have been stealing peoples personal information, then going on about how big a favor they're doing us, by doing so.

I'd rather have my personal info left where it is. Since I don't know who I'm dealing with, I certainly can't know which direction their moral compass is actually pointing, so to speak.

I suppose these groups would be popular with the crap a** teeny boppers that seem to make up a large portion of our membership.

After all, they have no personal info to be stolen, and if it happens to their parents, then , "so what".

15. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,682   +86

Although I would agree with your concern about this whole nonsense. Luckily beyond few very essentials I have nothing to worry about with such hacks.

Even then, I mean it is just a hoax, and Secret Service would know much before the Fox people if anything unfortunate happens to Mr. O. Beside, if they can't figure out any dangers to him before time, what sort of service standards they may have? It just seems like overreaction to me.

16. mattfrompa

mattfrompa TS Guru Posts: 493   +23

yeah now it's fox@123

17. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,270   +91

I never said I wouldn't do it. Just advised against it. Although if a 300-pound, homicidal prisoner told me to pick up a soap, I believe picking up the soap would be the least of my worries in a place like that.

18. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,953   +162

Messing with a newsgroup owned by politicians or vice versa yikes. Those is some brave hackas.