Foxconn CEO: iPhone 5 will put Samsung Galaxy S3 to shame

Leeky

Foxconn's CEO Terry Gou used the company's annual shareholders' meeting yesterday to comment on the upcoming 'iPhone 5', saying it would best Samsung's latest flagship smartphone as well as highlighting his continued bitter resentment towards the South Korean technology giant.

While the move is unlikely to have been green-lighted by Apple, the Cupertino-based retailer can breathe a sigh of relief as his only major comment was the iPhone 5 would put the Samsung Galaxy S3 to shame, although no information was actually offered to explain how it would. That said, it's doubtful Apple will be impressed given their preference for remaining completely tight-lipped prior to each product's official launch. 

According to Focus Taiwan, outspoken Gou has made it a personal lifetime goal to defeat Samsung in every respect, and even went as far as to describe it as "a company with a track record of snitching on its competitors" in reference to the 2010 flat-panel price fixing investigation, in which the Korean company acted as a witness in return for immunity.

"I respect the Japanese and especially like their execution and communication styles," Gou said. "Unlike the Koreans, they will not hit you from behind." 

Besides the tirade on big Sammie, perhaps the biggest news was the announcement that the Foxconn CEO invested $800 million of his own money in a 46.5% share of Sharp's Sakai Japan plant -- currently the only factory capable of mass-producing 60 to 80-inch display panels, and the only one with an exclusive large panel deal with Corning for its popular damage-protecting coatings.

Gou pointed out that it gave both Foxconn and Sharp a three-year advantage over anything the Korean technology giant can currently build, and a means to defeat them completely in three to five years. "With [Foxconn's] marketing and manufacturing strengths and Sharp's key technologies, the two will be able to defeat their arch-rival Samsung," Focus Taiwan said.

Foxconn will begin operating the Sakai factory from July 1, although some of the production will move to Foxconn's headquarters, creating more jobs locally.

Permalink to story.

So this guy takes the ole' Steve Jobs attitude towards Samsung. Oh well. Does Foxconn actually design any products themselves?

Meanwhile, Apple is losing to Samsung in court...

I love healthy and bitter rivalries in the corporate world, next to a war, nothing moves technological advances forward faster then this. Now if only the Americans and Euro's would stop sitting in a corner and playing with themselves politically and get back to work like the West side of the pacific rim we'd probably solve allot of global issues across the board.

[FONT=Helvetica]So this guy takes the ole' Steve Jobs attitude towards Samsung. Oh well. Does Foxconn actually design any products themselves?[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica]Meanwhile, Apple is losing to Samsung in court...[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica] [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica]^^[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica]this guy summed it up[/FONT]

Ever heard of public image/goodwill?

Gou just reinforced the dim view I have of Apple (more specifically here, their partners such as Foxconn). Arrogance only breeds ignorance.

The surprising thing is I really struggle to see what positive effect his comments can have. Perhaps he should refocus some of the energy he's spending on hating Samsung into doing something useful.

Considering iPhone 5 is rumoured to launch in Q4 2012, of course it should put the S3 to shame. Technology moves extremely fast in the smartphone space. By that point, they'll have even faster and more power efficient CPUs and GPUs.

As an Android Samsung Galaxy S1 owner, I am ditching Android this fall for iPhone 5 for these reasons:

1) Android OS slows down over time to the point where the phone is nowhere near as fast when it was new

2) iPhone has far higher resale value. $200-300 trade in at places like Amazon or sell it. That means owning an iPhone over 2 year contract is cheaper in US than an Android phone

3) US carriers are notorious for not upgrading the Android OS. I am still stuck with 2.1 on my S1.....

4) The exterior components just feel cheap, especially compared to the new iPhone 4 vs. S3 (cheap shiny plastic)

I never thought I'd come to this point but Android no longer makes any sense to me from any angle other than the OS customization.

omg omg!! now I wont buy S3 and ill wait for iphone5...

(hey... if they use this kind of tactics imagine waht they think about their customer base...)

yeah ... yeah ...

iphone 5 is better because workers kill themselfs building it? or why?

without apple, foxconn would be gone, no one wants too use there motherboards anymore because they were notoriously bad, there retail boards were just copies of other higher end boards, built with bad quality or shortcuts taken, they even made ECS look good to me. I would assume a phone being released almost 5-6 months after a different phone would be better, not too mention iphones usually cost more then Samsung devices, meaning if your gonna pay more I would expect a superior product too go along with it. we will just have too see what Samsung releases in Q4 and see who beats who. On a side note anyone remember when cell phones were just phones?

Someone making comments like this in the western world would be called racist and the media would never put it down. In Asia racism is just accepted and expected.

I love healthy and bitter rivalries in the corporate world, next to a war, nothing moves technological advances forward faster then this. Now if only the Americans and Euro's would stop sitting in a corner and playing with themselves politically and get back to work like the West side of the pacific rim we'd probably solve allot of global issues across the board.

I don't think making blanket offensive statements about a entire race,based on a company, is healthy.

"I respect the Japanese and especially like their execution and communication styles," Gou said. "Unlike the Koreans, they will not hit you from behind."

of course not.. now dont tell any Pearl Harbor survivors this...

Back on topic.. I would hope that the new iphone will be better coming out later PLUS we must say that the 4s was kinda of a we need another year to come up with something as it was only a upgraded model of the previous year where has the SI SII and SIII are totally different phones

Lol @ Guest with the 4 points... did you just copy and paste your comments from the S3 review?

And I'll reply with my same reply.... The iphone won't have a good resale value if Apple can put out a good upgrade.

Anyway... we're getting to the point where you really CAN'T 'blow the S3 out of the water' so to say. If the S3 can do everything you want out of a smartphone and do it fast, then what else is there? We've already got pixels so small you can't em. Maybe they'll have some new battery technology or something.

Meanwhile my massive 5.3 inch Samsung Galaxy Note is putting the 4S to shame. Traded in my 4 for one and never looked back. They took way too long to come out with the 5 and its still months away. Its been fun Apple but no thanks.

hmmmm iphone 5 is gonna put galaxy s3 to shame.. What is siri gonna give blow jobs now. Wooot!!!

Apparently this person was unaware of what happened on December 17th, 1942 in Pearl Harbor. I'm pretty sure that's the definition of hitting your from behind.

Lets look at the price vs performance ratio of samsung vs apple and then decide..

Oh wait that's right we already know the difference there, well how about after purchasing a samsung and apple iphone lets compare the after sales contract prices and application prices etc...

Oh yeah again..

Of course they have to keep the Apple hype wheels spinning as the SIII hits the streets.

I don't know. Sounds like he really dislikes Samsung. What do you think?

I dont no what BULL **** carrier you have, but almost every carrier upgraded their s1 to atleast 2.3 The Iphone slows down two after 2 years of being out....Everyone has updates the average life of a phone is max 2 years. Hense the upgrade time tables.

Wrong again, Apple won in court to the tune of $1,000,000,000.00 count them zeros and remember that this a minimum award, another jury win give more depending on the Samsung level of intent, so add a couple more billion in awards for their thievery

Back