Foxconn fesses up to overworking students on PS4 assembly lines

By Shawn Knight
Oct 10, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Chinese component manufacturer Foxconn is coming under fire once again after admitting they required student interns to work overtime to build parts for Sony’s upcoming PlayStation 4. According to a report from Chinese website Tencent Games (translation), students were forced...

Read more
  2. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 903   +71

That's just an excuse Sony. Students exploited to make your product are still your responsibility. (Didn't screen the manufacture to ensure they could meet demands, had adequate staffing, etc.) It isn't ethical to hide behind an agreement. It does remove you somewhat from the burden of guilt, but Sony should at least offer an apology to the students and investigate these accusations. And possibly offer repercussions to Foxconn for violating the agreement.
  3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,889   +609

Overworked students are nothing new. In the states we do it all the time. We give them fancy names like 'residents' (if you're going to be a Dr.) or 'intern'.

I'm kidding of course... although it is good for Sony this story is coming out now. This way it'll be forgotten by the time the PS4 is ready for selling.
    H3llion likes this.
  4. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 875   +93

And once more Foxconn is in the news for abusing their work force, this time they're exploiting slave labor, all so fat Americans can pay $50 less for their Playstations... Pretty sad, but hey, with that money being saved I would say hamburgers all around? But hey, that's the electronic industry, make it for as little as possible, barely paying those who build it and then sell it to make the most profit possible. And still the PS4 will be sold at a loss to Sony. Too bad they can't just slap an Apple logo on in and call it the iStation 4, they'd be able to sell it for triple.
    havok585 and avoidz like this.
  5. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,072   +1,181

But yet this won't stop sales of the PS4. So in the long run, why would Foxconn care?
  6. Mikymjr

Mikymjr TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 121   +7

Seems like companies just wanna make money at the cost of others. It's sad that companies always use the term "it's business". You know if it becomes worse which it probably will, they'll say it even when people die at fabrication or assembly plants. I mean come on. Every big manufacturer already knows, what foxconn does ( the second time I heard something going wrong with their labor practices) and yet when this happens again, Sony says "oh I don't know"(fingers crossed). At least when this happens, start looking for an other fabrication plant to do it for you. If you're making a great product, don't make others suffer. Also what happens is, people buy products and forget by who it was put together at the assembly plants.
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  7. avoidz

avoidz TechSpot Maniac Posts: 452   +53

For big corporations these slaves are expendable, plenty more where they came from. It's a depressing situation in a modern society. High tech gadgets, but at what cost? Human lives.
    havok585 likes this.
  8. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,197   +555

Hasn't society been like that since forever? It's just a fact of life. E.g. people dying all over the place while building pyramids.
  9. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TechSpot Booster Posts: 656   +34

No one seems to be noticing that Foxconn is also making hardware for the Xbox one aswell
    cliffordcooley and Mikymjr like this.
  10. Mikymjr

Mikymjr TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 121   +7

yet in those times people stood up because they knew it wasn't right. What about now? Are we really gonna close are senses? Just because it happens and the majority seems to think "meh as long as nothing happens to me, I'm okay with it" doesn't mean that it's okay, cause it may well happen to us in any kind of form. What will we teach the next generation? "oh hey son just be like the majority, because it's a fact". No keep on doing what is right ;)
    lmike6453 likes this.
  11. Xbox One is being manufactured by Foxconn too
    http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20130520PD216.html
    http://www.geek.com/games/foxconn-is-already-assembling-the-new-xbox-for-microsoft-1555877/

Infact Xbox 360 was too
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...-threaten-mass-suicide-over-xbox-pay-dispute/
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/jan/12/xbox-assembly-workers-threaten-mass-suicide

Nintendo WiiU was too.
    Practically every laptop made has either printed circult board parts manufactured by Foxconn or fully assembled by Foxconn.

Adhmuz likes this.
  12. Camikazi

Camikazi TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 295   +44

Sony = Japanese company and world-wide sales don't blame Americans when the ENTIRE world takes advantage of the lower prices the JAPANESE company sets.
  13. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 875   +93

I agree the entire world does indeed profit off the exploitation, it just seems the American market profits more with lower prices. PS4 Launch prices for example: US $399, UK £349 = $556.89, 349 EUR = $540.28, Aus 549 AUD = $519, Jap ¥39,980 = $405.68. But the Japanese market only gets it on February 22nd.

14. Boilerhog146

Boilerhog146 TechSpot Member Posts: 66

What are you doing reading and commenting in here ? get back to work ...LoL.:p
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  15. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,267   +215

Ever heard of volume discounts? The US purchases a lot more consoles than other countries.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.