TechSpot

Fps Drops in counter strike 1.6

By Bkbabz
Jul 23, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey all

I do not why, but when i start CS 1.6 and plays for a little while my fps drops from 100 to mayb 7-8 and then stays on 40 fps. I dont know what it is, because the first 10-20 minutes it runs perfectly and then it goes down...

My computer has these properties:

- Intel (R) Core (TM) 2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00 GHz
    - 2,00 GB RAM
    - NVIDIA Geforce 8600

And btw. The problem also came on other game. The same procedure:

Runs perfectly.. And about 20 minutes later, it lags huge..

I hope you can help me, because i am very confused ?
  2. mopar man

mopar man TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,492

Download speedfan and tell us the temps. It could be overheating.

Have you updated your Graphics Card Drivers?

www.nvidia.com
  3. Bkbabz

Bkbabz TS Rookie Topic Starter

Okay:

Hd0 = 47C

temp 1 = 77C

temp 2 = 75 C

temp = 81 C

Core 0 = 69 C

Core 1 = 69 C

Core = 79 C

Ambient : 0C
  4. TimeParadoX

TimeParadoX TS Rookie Posts: 2,438

It mostly depends on what you're doing, also what resolution you run on the game.

In 1.6 my FPS drops to 30fps or lower at the end of a ESEA game ( because of the MOTDs that appear such as High Score and all that ) but once I close that it'll go back to 60 constantly. I play the game at 800x600 ( my Native is 1680x1050 ).
  5. pcnthuziast

pcnthuziast TS Rookie Posts: 313

No offense paradox, but why would you play that old @$$ game at 8 x 6 when you have an 8800GTS which of course is a good gfx card?
  6. TimeParadoX

TimeParadoX TS Rookie Posts: 2,438

Sorry to bring back a thread.

When you play at a lower resolution in Counter-Strike, you get less Pixel-related sensitivity. Example: Playing at 1900x1200 will take longer to turn around rather than 800x600. When you play competitively every second counts. If you have to take longer to turn around it's bad for you and your team.
  7. pcnthuziast

pcnthuziast TS Rookie Posts: 313

I can turn around 360 with only 1 inch of mouse movement which seems like plenty to me. I game @ 1920 x 1080 and have my mouse set to 2000dpi. Since I've never liked any of the CS games my POV isn't as valid as yours, but for TF2 I can look around and aim extremely quickly.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.