Frame rate issues with 9800GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

skibum0832

Hello,

First let me start by saying that I have just built a new computer. I'm using a 9800gt and was recently getting an average of 60fps, sometimes in the upper 100fps, when playing WoW on max settings. I recently logged into WoW and now get an average of 15 fps when the game is on max settings. My lat in the game is very low, so it isn't a lag problem. I think it might be my graphics card but I am not sure. My first question is how do I tell if my graphics card isn't working? My dvi is still plugged into the card and I still get a picture on the monitor so does this mean my card is still working? I have had trouble with my computer starting first on my build and then later when I installed an eSata to the back of my computer. When this happened my computer would not show any activity on my screen and the fan of my graphics card would keep speeding up and then back down about 10 seconds apart. After I would take the card out and put it back the computer would tell me that the overclocking had failed, even though I had done no such thing. Is there some setting or something wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

You can stress test your Graphic Card with OCCT.

Also please give us complete system specifications including PSU type/model/wattage etc.

It was a barebone kit I put together myself from tigerdirect.com The complete list of part is located at tigerdirect the 450 dollar barebone kit from NVIDIA GeForce. This site will not allow me to post a link. The card also is one of those green cards so there is not power hook up to it. It just gains power from the motherboard. Also, I have two friends who built the same system and they are not having this trouble.

Well if it isn't letting you post link, can you please cut/paste the specs?

Also please do proceed with testing your graphic card with OCCT and let us know if it finds any issues.

NVIDIA GeForce PC Barebone Kit
NVIDIA GeForce PC Barebone Kit - MSI G31TM-P21 Mobo, Intel E5300 CPU, GlacialTech CPU Cooler, Corsair 2GB DDR2 RAM, XFX GeForce 9800GT, LG 22x DVDRW, Seagate 250GB HD, CM Nvidia Case, Ultra 500W PSU

I'm running windows 7 ultimate and added another 2 gigs of ram to the computer... everything is working great except my graphics do not seem up to par... I will run the test too as soon as I'm home... I happen to be out of the house and will not be back until later tonight...

Thank you for the help I really do not want to have to take my computer in.

The PSU btw has the specs

Form Factor: ATX
Wattage: 500-Watt
Modular Cabling: No
Special Features: Manual 130v & 220v Switching
Energy Efficiency: 77%
Fan: 120 mm
Input Voltage: 115 ~ 230
+3.3V: 20 A
+5V: 32 A
+12V 1: 28 A
-12V: 0.6 A
+5VSB: 2.0 A

Again thank you.

I updated and ran OCCT... there are no issues... I don't understand why my card just doesn't seem to be working...

The 9800gt also does not have a 6pin for the power... could this be the cause? I mean everything was working fine a week ago...

The 9800gt also does not have a 6pin for the power... could this be the cause? I mean everything was working fine a week ago...
Its not supposed to have a 6pin.
It doesn't have to be the card either...

Okay so OCCT seemed find until I started WoW in the middle of it and performance seemed to drop everywhere... What does that mean...

You are not supposed to run OCCT while running other 3d applications.

What are temperatures of your GPU / CPU while playing the game?

Which version of nVidia drivers you are running? (latest WHQL version is 257.21)

If you have older version, please uninstall it, download Driver Sweeper or Driver Cleaner Pro, and remove any left over driver files with it.

Then reboot, and install the latest drivers, and let us know about your results. Regards

skibum0832 said:
The 9800gt also does not have a 6pin for the power... could this be the cause?

hellokitty said:
Its not supposed to have a 6pin.

It definitely should have a 6 pin connector unless it's a Green Edition whose performance is not very good.

The card also is one of those green cards so there is not power hook up to it.

Yup he says it is from one of those eco mentalist editions. So I don't believe it can offer same level of performance as a normal 9800GT card.

@Rit
Can it be an PSU issue (i.e. PSU is being of inferior quality?) or the card just being plain bad as well?

Well it has to be my card... I'm getting better fps off motherboard graphics than my video card... I guess it isn't getting enough power. I took my card out and ran WoW through the mobo and I'm getting 10 - 20 fps in WoW with all settings on ultra...

@ Archean - Oops, didn't notice that it had been mentioned. It could be a PSU issue but since the OP says that 2 of his friends built the identical system and had no issues, it likely is the card.

Yup... put back in an old 8500 gt and WoW runs everything at ultra, with shadows turned down, at an average of 30 fps... awesome... always make sure your card has a 6 pin...

I suggest you take your 'eco mentalist' card back to wherever you purchased it in the first place (tigerdirect.com as you said i think) ...... and get a normal 9800GT.

9800gt eco should still do much better than an 8500gt, but returning it in favor of a real card would be good, that card was likely defective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back