France fines Google €100,000 over Street View

By Matthew
Mar 21, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. France's National Commission for Information Freedom (CNIL) has nailed Google with a €100,000 ($142,000) fine for gathering private data from unsecured Wi-Fi connections. Early last year, the search giant revealed that its Street View cars accessed unpassworded wireless networks and "inadvertently" collected data, including emails and passwords according to an initial French investigation.

Read the whole story
  2. lipe123

lipe123 TS Evangelist Posts: 633   +163

CNIL should spend that 100k now to fine every person with an unsecured network 100Eu!!

Honestly they are the real "criminals" here enabling spammers and such.
  3. krayzie

krayzie TS Rookie Posts: 62

why does google need this information?
  4. vangrat

vangrat TS Rookie Posts: 223

They don't it was "inadvertent" >.>

Btw, that botnet client on your desktop, yeah that one, please ignore it. K thx.

5. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,533   +48

Quite a fail for Google..I'm sure there's a few more fines to come.
  6. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,011   +18

I wonder if Google will present them with a giant check, like they give lottery winners.
  7. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TS Evangelist Posts: 1,079   +331

I don't follow how is google at fault because the french users are dumbasses and can't secure their own networks?
  8. Cota

Cota TS Enthusiast Posts: 513   +8

Well hater, its not like they sniffed whit malicious software to obtain passwords, emails and such information, connecting to a wifi spot is one thing doing "sniffing" on that network is another thing.
  9. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,101   +95

$142,000? lol, the attorney's fees are several times more than that... I wonder how Google will ever be able to pay that off?
  10. 140.000 $ !!!!! that's not even wourth a spot in a newspaper, come onnnnn!!! that's probably the cost of 1 camera on one of those cars!
  11. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TS Enthusiast Posts: 544

Actually Google uses several different cameras, though the most expensive model is likely to cost twice that amount...
  12. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,142   +482

I guess the driver was bored and wanted to sniff around while he drove...
  13. Come on this has been done before they got sued for the same thing in the UK last year and they won

Waste of court time if you ask me
  14. The French law says don't do this and Google did it, so they pay, done deal.
  15. street view on
  16. bonniesmith

bonniesmith TS Rookie Posts: 40

100,000 fine, billions profits = still good