Fraudulent representation > "Windows Outreach Team"

By Bobbye
Mar 3, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Please note: the person posting as 'Jason of the 'Windows Outreach Team' is a group of several people saying they work with Microsoft and their 'team' is from them. Whenever they are active, you can find numerous Google searches asking them who they are, asking for some kind of site or documentation> they never give it.

There is NO official Windows Outreach Team sanctioned by Microsoft.
    There is NO official Internet Explorer Outreach Team sanctioned by Microsoft.

Here are some other fragments about the same group:
    > "My name is Jeff and I work with the Windows Outreach Team".

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,156   +598

a corollary to the above

Fraudsters are using bogus support calls to hijack victims' computers, warns security firm Trusteer.

The fraudsters trick people into downloading software that allows remote access to their computers by claiming to be from Microsoft Windows Solutions. Once connected, the fraudsters claim viruses have been detected on the victim's computer. They then attempt to sell software to clean up the alleged infection.​

the story is at
  3. JasonWinTeam

JasonWinTeam TS Rookie Posts: 24

Hello there. My name is Jason and I am part of the Windows Outreach Team. I probably should have formally introduced myself sooner to alleviate potential concerns, but you can learn more about us by reading this Windows Experience blog post.

I am a part of a team tasked with reaching out to users within communities on the web, so while I understand your wariness, we are legitimate. We also run the @Windows Twitter handle, and you’re more than welcome to send questions our way. Thank you.
  4. jobeard

oops; bogus info
  5. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Topic Starter Posts: 16,335   +36

Excuse me, but those are the credentials for the blog, not the Windows Outreach Team.

The "Windows Twitter" handle:
    This group has previously been active here and on other internet computer forums. While they may dispense credible information, they are not connected to Microsoft as they alluded to previously. There is no 'official' Windows Outreach Team other than what they decided to name their group.
  6. jobeard

you are right, I stand corrected; Offensive, errant information has been retracted - - sorry.
  7. JasonWinTeam

JasonWinTeam TS Rookie Posts: 24

Hi again. The official, verified Windows Twitter handle switched from @MSWindows to @Windows in late January. Please check out the tweet I just sent out from @Windows. I'm ^JAS, a part of the Microsoft Windows Outreach Team that manages the Twitter account and helps out in blog and forum communities among other things. I hope this clears things up. Thanks for giving me an opportunity to clarify this, and I look forward to discussing all things Windows with the community in the future.
  8. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Topic Starter Posts: 16,335   +36

When it began here:
    Windows Outreach Team is what? From where?

RonS WIN TEAM's
    The 'group members':
    Ron/Windows Outreach Team
    Brett M,Windows Outreach Team
    Jeff/Windows Outreach Team.
    Jason/Windows Outreach Team

And Ron, attempting to find "Is there any way around this? I wish to clear this up as soon as possible. Thanks."
    From Bobbye:
    The "us" referred to was kimsland and me who attempted t check out all of the site for his 'references'. There weren't any except for the 'blog' written by someone else and previously mentioned.
  9. superty12

superty12 TS Enthusiast Posts: 413

To the Fraudulent Windows Outreach Team

I can't find any official Windows Outreach Team document on I will not trust the blog site and will assume it is fraudulent until proven otherwise. Even so, it doesn't mention Jason or Brett. And why didn't the Windows Outreach Team want to prove themselves publically? I want the Windows Outreach Team to answer the questions or publically apoligize, especially to Microsoft. Windows Outreach Team, I will be very surprised if you can answer these.
  10. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,467   +1,760

How does this even matter, what handle you choose to open a "Twitter" account? I'm of the understanding, that you can choose any "handle" you like, as long as it isn't already taken.

For example, I personally might choose, "The Mighty Troll with Paranoid Delusions of Grandeur", if I were going to start am imaginary "Windows Outreach" program.

At least if I were superficial enough to even want a Twitter account.

How much can you actually accomplish with a 137 character limit anyway? Perhaps that might be sufficient to put somebody on hold, or perhaps enough to fraudulently cull people's email addresses.

Most, if not all responses from the "Windows Outreach Team" to this forum, have been mostly, (if not completely), evasions and double speak without substance.

So thanks, but no thanks, I already have "Windows Outreach", at least that's what I call my Windows disc.