TechSpot

free computer site

1. my ibm recently crapped out on me, and i don't really want to spend any money getting it repaired b/c it would probably cost more than the computer did.
    so i thought about doing one of those free computer things. you know, "knock out president bush and get a free computer." i just figured that since i need a new computer right now and i dont have the funds to purchase one that this would be worth a shot.
    the site i was looking at was
    right now i'm using one of the worst computers i have ever used. i just wanted to know if anybody out there has been to this site and could tell me if it is something i should do or if its just another scam. i've seen the people on the news that did these sort of things and got their free ipods or w/e, but i just wanted to be 100% sure before i signed up for any of these offers. i know the deal, but again, i just wanted to be 100% sure.

any help would be GREATLY appreciated
    thanks a lot! =)

Edit: Removed dodgy url.

2. twite

twite TechSpot Paladin Posts: 937

Alot are scams, some aren't. Some say all you need to do is give them your email address and thats it..but that will never work..usually you have to do a long list of things..refer a certain number of people to their website ect..Personally, i would never do it..As by the end of it, they will have all of your personal info.credit card #,street address,name,ect. I would rather go out and buy a computer, rather then taking the risk of being scammed for thousands of dollars

3. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

I agree with twite. That`s a scam of some description and shouldn`t be touched with a 10 foot barge pole.

There are no free lunches unfortunately.

Regards Howard :)

4. ZVI

ZVI TS Rookie