TechSpot

Free versus purchased antivirus/spyware programs

By Sejanus
Jun 14, 2010
  1. Ciao everybody,

The subscription to McAfee that came with my computer is about to end its 3 year run, and I'm considering not renewing it (I'm a poor college student and 80 bucks is kind of steep). I was wondering what everyones thoughts are on McAfee and other paid anti-virus programs compared with free programs such as Malwarebytes? Also, I'm curious about the combinations of programs you personally run so that I can get an idea of effective alternatives.

Thanks guys!

2. cartera

cartera TS Addict Posts: 296   +78

Personally i would say ditch mcaffee and get your self Spybot Search and Destroy and Avira Anti Virus. I have used mcaffee once a few years back and i thought it was a resource stealer!

Also AVG anti virus free is good, which could replace Avira if you want something more well known.

3. bobcat

bobcat TechSpot Paladin Posts: 688   +67

Questions like this usually attract a multiplicity of answers. But this board officially recommended Avira Antivir or Avast! as antivirus, plus malwarebytes' as antispyware. All of them are free and will do a goos job, not inferior to McAfee.

For latest recommendations, see:

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic58138.html

4. superty12

superty12 TS Enthusiast Posts: 413

Avast+Spybot

Avast! Anti-virus Home Version with Spybot: Search and Destroy is good and free.

5. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +70

Excellent free antivirus: Avast and Antivir

Excellent free antispyware/malware: SuperAntispyware (and it runs in real time protection); Malwarebytes.

* All four of these are highly regarded here at TechSpot (and other places as well).

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.