Not open for further replies.
This will help: All are free or have free versions:

Antivirus: Use one
Both of the following programs are free and known to be good:
Avira Free
Avast Home

Antispyware and Security:
Use reliable and trusted anti-spyware/malware programs
Each of the links below will help you set up the program and each has a download link:Use two or more:
Use all:
Firewalls: Use one:

I'm looking for a free virus/malware software for my computer. Know a good one to get?

When it comes to free anti-virus, there is no clear best one. It largely a matter of opinion and who you ask. I give my customers AVG whereas the local independent computer store I am affiliated with recommends Avast. And if you ask around, everyone will respond with a different one. There is no universal clear favourite.

-- Andy

Avira Free is free:
You can download Avira AntiVir Personal - FREE
On the left:
http://www.free-av.com/en/trialpay_download/1/avira_antivir_personal__free_antivirus.html

The download for the Premium version ($$) is free, but the program itself is not. (on the right)

Learn how to read the
information. Getting a program has 2 parts: Download and Install. Most programs-free or paid-offer a free download. But some may then require you pay to use the program and will issue you a license number to activate the product. Some people break the law and steal the paid programs by getting the activation number illegally. It's called piracy.

Considering the information I gave you and the time I took to do it, wouldn't it have been nicer to say Thank You instead of telling me I'm wrong?

Many security programs have both a free version and a fuller, paid version.

I am not going to continue this. I gave you information for free versions.

You got your help free too- what do you pay for?

Next time-if there is one- read the material more carefully. Then consider what you are going to reply more carefully.

As for the missing' Thanks.' don't bother. I've put you on my 'Do Not Bother To Help' list.

Hey, cut davbell22602 some slack guys. I don't find anything he wrote particularly arrogant or ungrateful. So, he wasn't on top of exactly what was explained to him, he did come back and offered an apology. You seem to want to crucify the guy over something we've all done at some point, MISREAD something!

Give him a break.

-- Andy

I no files relation to verzion internet service provider. I snagged on to a unsecure connection with my wireless connection on my laptop. I tapped in on my parents wireless router for connection. thanks.

Ir figures. You're getting free internet service by stealing it from someone else!

And by using an unsecured connection, you expose your system to malware! An antivirus program isn't going to protect you whether it's free or you pay for it.

And by using an unsecured connection... An antivirus program isn't going to protect you whether it's free or you pay for it.

Ahh, but a firewall will. ;-)

I personally like Microsoft Security Essentials. It does something that many other virus scanners often fail to do: actually remove the virus once you're infected. I have no idea if MS is utilizing some hidden, proprietary APIs or something, but whatever they are doing... it works. The program is also remarkably simple to use and scores very high on benchmarks and reviews throughout the Internet.

Again though, my *opinion* is just anecdotal. Different people like different things and it is difficult to say one scanner is better than another because there are multiple factors and no effective way to base that decision on real, meaningful, empirical data.

Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) (previously codenamed Morro) is an antivirus software created by Microsoft that provides protection against viruses, spyware, rootkits, and Trojans for Windows XP (x86[3]), Windows Vista (x86 and x64[3]), and Windows 7 (both x86 and x64[3]), free of charge.

So you're not really just looking for a free antivirus program. You looking for one that will let you continue to steal someone's wireless without any consequence to you.

You didn't inquire about a firewall. See there are a few rules in cyberspace. They are set for not only our own protection but the protection of others. When one tries to circumvent those rules, someone is going to pay the price. You should have one good antivirus program, one good firewall and two or more anti-malware programs.

I was looking something on a Google search earlier today and I came across this question:
Anyone use Avast! Need to know if it will log certain things.?
A friend of mine needs a new anti virus and was told about Avast! And since its free, he wants to get it. He does a good deal of illegal downloading. From torrent sites. He wanted to know if it will send out notices to companies if they are doing illegal downloads. Does anyone know? Hes very nervous about his pirating....

The replies received ran from suggesting he "stop the piracy because it was illegal" to "Avast! Does not track what sites you visit or what you download. It only scans the stuff."

Then the bottom line came out:
However, he would be interested to know that Microsoft does track what he downloads. It's a service on all Microsoft operating systems called Software Licensing.

He wanted to know if it will send out notices to companies if they are doing illegal downloads.

Hey, cut davbell22602 some slack guys. I don't find anything he wrote particularly arrogant or ungrateful. So, he wasn't on top of exactly what was explained to him, he did come back and offered an apology. You seem to want to crucify the guy over something we've all done at some point, MISREAD something!

Give him a break.

-- Andy

Very well then, you should tender a friendship offer to davbell22602, after that you can handle his issues via PM. Since you believe that rest of us involved with this thread are a bit too thin skinned, you two might make quite a team.

I'm looking for software thats 100% free not 50% free.
Avira Free is not its a trial

For what it's worth, I find the tone and demeanor of these posts rude, excessively demanding and boorish. Either I'm too sensitive, or davbell22602 has abandoned, or forgotten, or dispensed with certain social protocols for the duration of his visit. Perhaps it was just an oversight, or a lapse of foresight regarding what wording begets what reaction, Irregardless, in either scenario DILLIGAF?

Most of these requests for assistance, (as Bobbye suggests), seem to point toward requesting assistance regarding theft of services and the continuing downloading of illegally obtained, copyrighted materials. As we're all well aware, Techspot does not support, offer assistance, or for that matter even permit the discussion of these topics. So, rather than continuing to tap dance around these situations, it might simply be better to allow Julio, or one of our other moderators to evaluate these discussions with the motivation being a decision regarding whether davbell22602, should be banned from Techspot. A resolution to any of this is, thankfully, well above my pay grade.

I'm not downloading illegally. Version internet service already knows that people can snag a free connection off there service with a wireless since its not a secure connection. About 3 months my Dad even called verzion tech support because couldnt get the software from verzion and linksys wireless router to work right on my PC. The verzion tech support said to just snag it a connection without the software on my PC cause it wasnt secure.

I strongly suggest you read up on the pitfalls of using a connection that is not secure.

Also suggest you dad all Verizon back, ask for Second Level Support and have someone who knows what they're doing give helpful suggestion for router setup. Verizon doesn't actually handle routers themselves and setting up a wireless router isn't difficult. Second Level will at least tell you that instead of suggesting you use an unsecured connection!

The tech that suggested you do that should be fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back