Freecom intros first USB 3.0 storage drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Freecom has unveiled its external "Hard Drive XS 3.0," the first mainstream storage product to support SuperSpeed USB 3.0. Being equipped with the latest USB spec, Freecom's external drive doesn't disappoint, with approximate transfer rates of 130MB/s. "We now can transfer a 5GB movie in just 38 seconds -- it's unbelievably fast," said Axel Lucassen, managing director of the Dutch storage company.

Lucassen went on to boast that in addition to being fast, the Hard Drive XS 3.0 will be the "safest storage solution on the market," as it features high-speed AES 256-bit hardware encryption. The drive will be fairly priced too, with a 1TB model running about 99 GBP (or $160). Unfortunately, that does not include the company's USB 3.0 controller card, which costs an additional 23 GBP for desktop systems, and 26 GBP for notebooks.

The company will provide drivers for Windows XP and Vista, and Windows 7 should supposedly have native driver support -- Mac users are out of luck, though. Freecom's Hard Drive XS 3.0 will be available in Europe from mid-November in 1TB, 1.5TB and 2TB flavors.

Permalink to story.

I am assuming the new USB3 standard will support the same type of USB cable that we've been using? but only requires new USB3 capable hardware? meaning we can use our existing USB cable, but just need a new USB3 interface card for the PC. ?

I am assuming the new USB3 standard will support the same type of USB cable that we've been using? but only requires new USB3 capable hardware? meaning we can use our existing USB cable, but just need a new USB3 interface card for the PC. ?

It's backwards compatible with USB 2.0 and can use the same cable. USB 3.0 devices require a USB 3.0 cable though.

I remember reading the USB 3.0 port are deeper than 2.0 ports and the USB 3.0 cable connector are a little longer than 2.0 cables. This allows 3.0 to make use of some additional pins added in an area that is *just* out of reach for a standard USB 2.0 cable.

I imagine the end result of that is USB 3.0 cables will not be usable in 2.0 ports, though.

the usb 3 cable has five interal wires instead of 3 so are much thicker but gives them the high data rate.

USB 3.0 Sucks! This should go the way of Beta-max tapes. This is nothing more than an attempt to force people to spend money. We already have Firewire, E-sata and usb 2.0 connectors. Any of these can be increased with NO change to the equipment and cables we already own. Do not fall for this gimmick. If we all refuse, this BAD idea will die off, as it should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back