TechSpot

Freeing up CPU, Page File, Memory usage

By mossimoboy
Aug 27, 2006
  1. Hey all, I was just wondering if anyone could help me to lower my cpu usage, page file, and memory usage.

See, I run a CS:Source Dedicated Server from my home PC and I need all the free cpu, memory and page file I can get. I turn off all my programs (IM's, processes, anything I can find.)

So I was just looking for suggestions to lower the usage of these things to dedicate them to my server.

2. werty316

werty316 TS Rookie Posts: 185

Change the "memory usage" in "System" settings in the "Control Panel" to "System Cache" as shown.

[​IMG]

How much memory do you have in the server? Having less than 1GB could hurt it.

3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

yeah, add more RAM!

4. patrickc284

patrickc284 TS Rookie Posts: 18

5. mossimoboy

mossimoboy TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 121

I have 2GB of PC3200 ram. Also, why would giving more memory to system cache make it better? the Source Dedicated Server is a program..

6. mossimoboy

Any other suggestions?

7. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,094

If you right click any process in Task manager you will see where you can raise/lower the Priority for different programs . You should use this with "extreme prejudice" though.
    So be careful.

8. mossimoboy

Yeah I set my server to "Realtime" and it blue screened me once before. I will try it on high later though as its said that it reduces ping.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.