TechSpot

Freeware CD/DVD burner software

By vomacka
May 30, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I just loaded Nero Essentials 7 and don't really like it. It is VERY bloated and slows my system down when running.

Is there a freeware cd/dvd burner ( With lightscribe) that is easy on the system and not so large that it slows my system down.

Scott

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,681   +392

I'd use ImgBurn for burning, and something else free for Lightscribe.

3. Doctor John

Doctor John TS Enthusiast Posts: 204   +15

I'd second ImgBurn, v. light and works well.

4. mike1959

mike1959 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,016   +51

Hi. I've tried most of them, Imgburn is fine for most things, no Lightscribe though.
    I like and use Trueburner by Glorylogic too, simple to use, again no Lightscribe. (This is sometimes available to download but 'goes missing' too, not sure why.)
    There is a new one I have not tried yet, 7burn. They do a portable version, and it works with Blue Ray disks, if you need that. It's at;
    http://www.rcpsoft.net/7burn.html

5. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,107   +2,581

6. bobcat

bobcat TechSpot Paladin Posts: 688   +67

I use the already mentioned ImgBurn too. The reason I make this post is to bring to your (and the others’) attention that there’s a portable version which doesn’t need installation and will even run from a memory stick. So you can try it, and if you don’t like it just delete its folder.

7. Doctor John

Doctor John TS Enthusiast Posts: 204   +15

Thanks for that, bobcat, I'd never noticed (duh!), seems useful.

8. vomacka

vomacka TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 64

Thanks for the sugestions everyone. Lots of choices to go through.

What about CDBurnerxp?

Scott