Freezes after 10 seconds of loading

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work in a computer lab at a community health center. I just started working there and I realized no one in the building had any of the admin passwords to the computers. I brought in a Windows password reset disc and reset all of the admin passwords. This is when I got the bright idea to install the Adobe creative sweet at work off of my external HD. I only tried this on my computer, and the installation failed. Half of the CS was installed and half wasn't. This seemed to have caused some problems for me.

When I attempted to startup the computer, my desktop would load, but some of the icons wouldn't fully load (they were stuck as the default exe icon). I could move my mouse, but when I put the cursor over the Start menu button, all I got was an hour glass. I couldn't click on any of icons at all.

I rebooted into safe mode and it worked perfectly. I tried to remove the CS in add/remove programs, but it failed. I think this is because it wasn't fully installed. I deleted all of the folders I could find (other then flash player and adobe reader), then downloaded the CS4 cleanup script, but this failed to clean up my system as well. When I went back into add/remove programs and tried to uninstall the CS, it said it had already been removed, and it disappeared off the list. Something tells me it isn't fully removed.

I tried a selective startup where I turned off all of the startup programs. This seemed to have worked. So I started going back throught the list allowing some of the start up items. I thought that it was the CS4 startup programs that were causing my troubles (which for the most part they were), but now even with ALL startup values disabled, it still freezes.

I can use the internet, but if I click on the start menu it takes a while to load. When it finally loads, whether I click off of it or on a program, it disappears and my computer freezes. I can still use my mouse.

Specs:
Intel C2D E7200 @ 2.53GHz
0.98 GB of RAM (1 GB)
Windows XP SP3

Important points:
- My mouse still moves around, just can't click
- Safe mode runs smoothly
- Selective startup still freezes eventually
- System Restore was never enabled on any of the computers in the lab
- I'm 90% sure there is no malware/virus. It worked fine before I tried to install the CS series.

Updates:
A little update:

When I tried starting it up today without any startup values enabled, it froze. I disabled all of the services (except the microsoft ones) and it has frozen again.

I will try a virus scan.

Edit: Tried the scan and nothing showed up. It's clean.

Run "sfc /scannow" and "chkdsk C: /f" also run disk cleanup. (where C: is your windows partition)

check the system and application logs in event viewer and note the critical erors and advice.

Sorry for the late reply, I do not work on weekends.

There were no errors in event viewer, and I ran both disk cleanup and chkdsk.

Still the same problems.

Have you run a defrag? and do how much free space is there on the Hard drive?

Adobe CS is Massive, uses around 10GB when installed. Just for info; some of those internet downloads and fixes have trojans.
The two DVD set from adobe is safe.

If your Drive is badly fragmented and full, you could get the problems you are experiencing.

The best Uninstaller is "Total Uninstall" available Here: http://www.martau.com/

This free Defrag will analyze and has a file list that shows how badly fragmented your system is: http://www.piriform.com/defraggler/download/standard

I've got a 10% fragmentation and I have 91% free space. I'm assuming that this isn't the problem as this computer hasn't been defragged since it was bought (before I started working here).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back