Freezes after plugging in (powered) USB hub

jstluise

Dell e1505 Laptop, Windows XP

I have a powered USB hub that I use for my mouse/keyboard and printer. The hub is this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/7-Port-USB-2-0-...344?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a07fe7e00

Every once in a while when I plug in the hub, the computer freezes with no chance of recovery.

I have been using the hub without its own power supply, and after searching around I read that the freezing might be an issue with the computer USB not having enough power for the hub+devices. So I just connected the external power, but on my first attempt the computer froze again.

It doesn't do it every time, but this is getting annoying. Especially after I forget to save something before I plug in the hub to use my printer!

Any ideas? Could it be the hub and/or devices causing issues, or would be something with my computer?

If you plug any other USB directly to your system say a USB flash drive does the freezing occur?

If you plug any other USB directly to your system say a USB flash drive does the freezing occur?

No, I have never had a problem with anything else besides the hub. Could the hub be faulty? I guess I can try plugging in just the hub by itself to see if I can get it to freeze.

Yes, it could be the hub, but try just plugging that in alone just to see if the issue lies within the hub itself. You may want to go to Dell's website, find your exact model and update their latest offerings for your system.

Back