Freezes and BSODs on Vista 64

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to troubleshoot a month-old PC a friend had built. I'm told it's been freezing and crashing at random intervals. I cleared out the dust and reseated the RAM but it's still freezing when under load.
I plugged in SpeedFan and got some really weird readings, I'm not sure if it's working right.
I'm waiting to get my good burner back so I can make a memtest disc, in the meantime I thought I could get the minidumps analyzed.

Some of the system specs from the top of my head:
Core 2 E8400
4GB dual-channel RAM
GeForce GTX 260

Three of your errors 0x24, 0x3B, and 0x1A only cite Windows OS drivers as the cause and they are usually too general to be of much help. However the the 0x1A is defined as the following:

0x0000001A: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
This memory management error is usually hardware related. If this occurs while installing Windows, also check the Windows system requirements including the amount of RAM and disk space required to load the operating system.

One error is 0x50: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

This dump specifically cited memory corruption as the cause.

The final erroris 0xA and these are caused by either hardware or drivers attempting an IRQ Level they have no business attempting. This dump also specifically cited memory corruption as the cause.

Run Memtest on your RAM. See this link and follow the instructions: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better.. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

* Get back to us with the results.

Ran a memtest on stick one while at work, results from 14 passes came back with 5 errors. Stick two has just finished pass 8 and has yet to have an issue. I'll keep running it until I get 14 passes on it as well, but so far, so good.

Thanks for the update. So far it appears your second stick is fine; the first one is the stick that needs to be replaced so far.

Yep, stick two cleared 14 passes with no problem. I'll have to wait until Friday before I can get more RAM to confirm. Is there anything I should do in the meantime?

Yep, stick two cleared 14 passes with no problem. I'll have to wait until Friday before I can get more RAM to confirm. Is there anything I should do in the meantime?

Since this will only be a temporary situation 1 gig of RAM should do you fine. Where are you purchasing your RAM from?

Newegg. My friend is RMAing the bad DIMM, and is getting another set (of OCZ Reaper) so that once everything is back and working, he'll have 8 gigs in his rig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back