Freezes during games & freezes when I try to restart it (multiple times)

I have had this issue for awhile, it comes and goes.

I will be playing a computer game, it can be anything from world of warcraft to counter strike and occasionally the computer will freeze. As far as I can tell it will not respond to keyboard input or mouse movements, I do not hear any sounds when it freezes and the monitor will be frozen on whatever window is active at the time.

The only thing I can do at this point is restart the computer and shut down the computer. Upon doing either while the computer boots up it will freeze at random points (windows icon, log in screen, sometimes while the bios is loading).

Not sure if this makes any sense but if I shut down the computer and unplug the power supply and plug it back in then turn the computer on, it usually boots without freezing. I really doubt its an overheating problem because I do not let the computer cool down between restarts or the unplug/plug thing but I am open to all suggestions.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850
Conroe, 775 LGA, 3GHz
EVGA nForce 680i SLI MB
4GB PC2-6400 Corsair (CM2X1024-8500C5D)
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS

Anyone?

Also I just came back from vacation and now my computer won't start. It freezes at the "starting windows" screen and when I try to repair it freezes as well.

I currently have a similar problem to yours, where my PC freezes when I turn my computer on, sometimes on the desktop, sometimes on the windows logo when you turn the computer on.

My PC sometimes doesn't even POST.

Please let me know if you find out the cause of your problem, since I think my problem may be related in someway.

CPU: i7 920 @ stock speed
Motherboard: XFX X58i
GPU: XFX ATI 4890
Memory: some generic Micron, 3x1gb, here it is: MT8JTF12864AZ-1G1
PSU: Corsair 650w

Hmm nothing seems to be in common. What hard drive do you have? I suspect it could be my hdd. I use a wd raptor.

I may be related to some driver freezing up the system or a hardware issue. Have you checked Event Viewer Logs to whether some useful information to track down this issue is being recorded? You can check that by going to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, and then opening Event Viewer.

What is the make/model of your PSU?

Also in addition to above please follow these steps, and before starting this procedure ensure that you can boot your system in safe mode.

1) Windows Key + R (or go to Start, then click on Run..)
2) Type in 'verifier' and hit enter
3) Make sure 'Create Standard Setting' is selected and hit next
4) Click on 'Select all drivers installed on this computer' and hit Finish
5) Reboot

There is a possibility that your computer will crash on reboot. If this occurs hit F8 when rebooting just before the windows logo screen and select the safe mode boot option. Follow the same steps above but on step 4 choose 'Select driver names from a list'; hit next; check the box next to any driver where the provider is not Microsoft; hit Finish; reboot.

This will slow the performance of you computer a little while enabled but will hopefully catch the driver causing corruption. Next time you crash the blue screen will hopefully say something like "DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION". When this occurs please post your new minidump.

Please note that Driver Verifier will continue to run on every boot up until you run (by going to Start, then to Run):

verifier /reset

Back