Freezing issue with Windows 7 - Usually when Chrome is open

By kElevrA
May 8, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi,

This is a pretty vague problem that I can't really pinpoint but everybody on Techspot has been so helpful in the past, I'm wondering if there is any genius out there who can help me.

Occasionally, and very sporadically my computer freezes when I am using Chrome. This could just be a coincidence (as about 90% of the time I spend on the computer, chrome is open) but the entire system freezes and the sound repeats the last second on loop (in a very jarring way).This has happened maybe 10-15 times since I got my computer (which I've had for about a year). Forcing shut down and restarting it solves the problem (although I lose all open documents etc. in the process).

Today I also experienced a new symptom which may/may not be related. During start up, I experienced abnormal severe lag. I'd move my mouse and I would see the pointer skip across the screen as though it was running at 0fps on a game or something. I then opened chrome and my computer crashed. Since it is quite early in the morning and I live in communal halls, I quickly jumped towards my laptop knocking it over which temporarily fixed it (the sound stopped looping and continued) but I forced shut down (held the power button) because I just wanted the loud jarring sound to stop.

This is pure speculation on my part as I'm not that good with hardware, but could this point to a problem with my memory? Maybe it's loose or faulty? I originally thought it could be a heat problem but it has been happening equally when browsing vs other cpu-demanding processes. Likewise for minutes after start-up vs hours after using my laptop.

I understand that a solution is probably unlikely but any suggestions, speculation or points of information that I could further investigate would be much appreciated. Thanks so much for taking the time to read this.

Regards,

Kelevra
  2. Mark56

Mark56 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,271

This does sound like a possible RAM fault. Follow this guide:

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.