TechSpot

Freezing on startup, only works in basic safe mode

By Diamond2011
Apr 1, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi,
    ok so my computer screen froze last night and I had to use the button to restart it. Once it reaches the desktop screen it freezes and I cant click on anything. I kept doing this until I decided to go into safe mode. it doesnt work in any other safe mode but the standard one. Pls help!

p.s. Im accessing this site through another computer. Thanks.

2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,172   +37

Since you can access via Safe Mode then the issue is most likely with drivers or you have the possibility that you are infected. Do you recall being infected recently/ Run security scans.

Have you installed any software recently?

3. Diamond2011

Diamond2011 TS Rookie Topic Starter

ok so I restored my computer to the earliest date. But when the internet is connected to it, I get this blue screen saying that it is dumping the crash files or something like that. My husband gets on the computer also I think that he may have downloaded something. So right now its working without the internet and Im running AVG to see if there is any infected files.

4. Route44

When a system crashes Windows writes what is called a minidump file that helps diagnose the cause. So...

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

5. Diamond2011

6. Route44

The driver sptd.sys was flagged in several minidumps as being unable to load. They don't cite it as the cause but since this is a Daemon Tools driver and the fact that we have see this driver causing issues to the point we have lost count my suggestion is uninstall this software to see if you gain stability.

7. Diamond2011

so i uninstalled daemon tools, but it still is doing the freezing and crashing thing. :/

8. Route44

In your next post give us your minidump files that have occurred after uninstalling Daemon Tools.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.