French proposal would impose 1% tax on Internet-connected devices

By Shawn Knight
May 13, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. A new proposal recently delivered to French President Francois Hollande aims to create new sources of revenue from tech giants like Amazon, Apple and Google. If passed, the legislation would create a one percent tax on the sale of all...

Read more
  2. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,841   +886

1% is nothing, but still, this is ridiculous.
  3. TekGun

TekGun TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 157   +11

Well it's not nothing it's 1%, I spent over 6k online last year, I'm already taxed to the hilt so no it's not nothing to me.
    spencer likes this.
  4. bielius

bielius TechSpot Booster Posts: 227   +14

And here it comes... taxing every piece of electronics device connected to the internet. Government will tax us for everything we use and do before we know it.
  5. Heihachi1337

Heihachi1337 Newcomer, in training Posts: 44   +11

What to do when your government is floundering and can't control spending? Throw out more BS taxes! Cause why should they have to learn to budget and live within their means? /sarcasm

Seriously, dumbest idea ever. Sadly, I see this idea coming to the US. Hell, I wouldn't put it past them to charge us yearly for every video game we own too because "they are too violent and cause shootings" or some BS.
    spencer likes this.
  6. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,050   +699

As much as I'd like to say that this is France and it doesn't mean other governments will be taxing us in all sorts of new ways... I'll bet the US govt sees this and hopes it goes through so they can try something similar here.
  7. davislane1

davislane1 TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,260   +464

Politicians have always had a proclivity for trying to bridge the gap between theory and application. Unfortunately for us non-elites Monopoly isn't as charming when you play it in real life.
    spencer likes this.
  8. It may help the understanding of this "proposal" if it is reminded that the lobby of the music & movie industries is putting the pressure on the French government to obtain compensation for the losses suffered since napster?
    Two years ago, a new administrative authority (hadopi) has been created to launch notification, fine and law suit against piracy. While the p2p traffic droped due to this administration activity, the music & movie industries still did not recover their former annual sales revenue & margin.
    From the music & movie industries point of view, people are still buying music & movie not the traditional way but through internet. Therefore they want to obtain money from the companies making money with internet trafic: internet service provider, hardware companies (cause your Go capacity would be less attractive without all "free" content) and internet companies (less trafic and less advertising revenue without "free" content) like youtube.
    Don't get me wrong, despite this explanation I do think this "proposal" is still a stupid idea but not that surprising as the proposal come from a commission which president is a former VP in TV, music & movie major company.
  9. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,823   +1,434

I wish they would make it 50%. Maybe then we as a society would grow a pair and put a stop to the BS.
  10. spencer

spencer TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 204   +22

This is a good point, but with the majority of the world disarmed how would that happen(unless in america) and it will be perceived "cool and"hip to be taxed to the point of poverty and+or death. They won't make it 50% till the one world government takes over or revolution/restoration occurs (millions die in the process). I am glad to see that the majority of you guys appear to have woken up; only through people that have woken up will restoration occur. And to the naysayers look up my words for yourself use your own discretion (don't believe globalist news networks)CNN MSNBC NBC and FOX as they are owned by the very same people (globalists) that cause all of these...problems.
  11. Renrew

Renrew TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 237   +17

12. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,823   +1,434

We are talking about a specific tax that is combined with other taxes, not total tax rates. I have no intentions of disputing your comment which I already knew to be true.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.